Sign in to follow this  
SPAZ

What size slender pointer for SM? Color

Hello,

What size slender pointers do you guys recommend for Smallies?  There are two places I would fish for them out here, one is brown stained(not visible at all) and the other is green stained(fairly visible), what colors would you recommend?  Thank You

Most of the Smallie lakes around here are fairly visible, and alewife is a main forage, so I use the 4 Aurora Black.

Most of the Smallie lakes around here are fairly visible, and alewife is a main forage, so I use the 4 Aurora Black.

Do you use just pointers for them or slender pointers?

Spiroh... Just a personal preference, but I use the Slender Pointer for SM, Live Pointer for LM&SM and the regular Pointer for LM - when I use suspending Jerkbaits.  I guess I'm somewhat old school and still partial to the 4 Original Floating Rapala (front hook swapped out with a larger red treble) when I don't need the Jerkbait to suspend for the Smallies.

Do you think the slender 112 is too big for smallies? Is the 97 the right size for smalled?

Couldn't really say (don't use the 112 for Smallies), but the 112 is only 1/2" longer than the 97, so I don't see why not.

Spiroh,

From my experience, the 112 is not too big for them.  You'll probably catch less numbers than the 97, but better quality fish.  The 97 will put more in the boat, but maybe not as many good ones.  As far as color for the stained water.....anything flashy should work.

Not a big fan of the slender pointers however for the regular pointers i throw the 128 not as many fish but the ones I do catch are alot bigger. MS american shad is my fav color around here.

The slender pointer 112 is the perfect size for big smallies. American shad is my favorite color, but for dark stained water you may want to try the table rock shad color.

The 97MR catches a lot of fish for me! I do carry the 112 for larger fish though. The only colors I use are Ghost Minnow=Clear water and Pearl Ayu for stained.

Allen

I'd say out here the Smallies range from 1-3  lb.  Haven't caught one in a loooong time and figured the slender pointer is the way to go.