Sign in to follow this  
fastcasterjo

How do you get bigger bass

Are you asking for smallmouth or largemouth?

Welcome aboard!

I primarily fish for smallmouth on the Tennessee River, October through March. During the spring and summer smallmouth are difficult to find, especially during the day. I also fish Bull Shoals and have some success with jerkbaits during low light periods. Topwater is another option during those hours. Generally, most fisherman targeting smallmouth this time of year (in the South) have their best luck fishing at night.

In my very humble opinion the size of your bait does not matter as much with smallies as it does with largies when you talk about the cliche "bigger baits for bigger bass".

From my limited first hand knowledge and tons of research on the web from past tourneys and such I think location matters most.  What I mean to say is on a certain body of water, if green is the color then green is the color.  If green with gold fleck is the color then that's the color etc etc..  but what you will notice is certain areas or depths or rockpiles will hold bigger bass.

To further explain... from what I've heard/seen on Clair if you are fishing the right bait you are going to catch smallies... the only variable is the structure that the smallies are holding on.  If you find a 2lb area you need to move on and find a 3 lb area and so on.

Down south I would say find the deeper structure for smallies.  Hula grubs, single tail grubs, tubes and craw type baits will get the job done.  You just have to match the color and way the bait is presented with the primary forage of the smallies in your area and how they move.  Dont rule out the drop shot.  Drop shot is deadly for smallies on deep structure.  

This isnt gospel, just one man's experience.  I could get debunked by the local experts in a heart beat.

B

bshaner has given you some GREAT advice on lures that will generally work and the structure you should target. I would add, if you are on a river or there is any current where you fish, smallmouth bass ALWAYS prefer moving water.

I have caught some of my biggest smallies in southern OK during the months of june july and august during the later morning into the middle of the day when there was no wind, and bright sun. These are not the typical "good smallie" conditions, but smallies down here are more like stripers or sandies, and you never know what they'll be up to. One constant in the late spring into summer for big smallies, has been moving baits like topwaters, cranks, and lipless cranks. Like the 1 guy said, its all about location. If your on a good smallie "spot", then your odds greatly improve. And heed what he said about the drop shot!!