Sign in to follow this  
electrikal

Bonus fish

Hey fellow smallie lovers. Haven't posted in a while but couldn't resist showing this one. I had been out since 5:30 am and had caught four largemouth (1 1/2 to 3 lbs.) on topwater before 8:00. Switched to a powerworm but nothing but little ones as the sun beat down (92 degrees by 10:00). Water temps were in the low 80's.. I decided to crank up and come in (jetskiers and yachts were churning up the water >:(. But alas my 175hp Mariner decided to not cooperate. Turned the key to the sounds of silence :o. Checked battery, fuses and all was good but still no turning over. I no longer have a cranking rope so I headed in on the trolling motor. I was only about a 1 mile down river from the dock so what the heck I decided to fish my way back. Got out a crawdad colored ShadRap and proceeded to cast my way in. No luck until I got to the mouth of the creek where the dock was and felt a hard tug on the line. I shut the trolling motor down and was about to turn around thinking I was hung up when I felt the persistent tucking. As I reeled in I thought I had a big drum or catfish as this fish didn't want to come in. But then as I got it within 15' I could see this one still trying to head for the bottom. Once landed I measured 23 1/2" and weighed 4lbs 1oz. Sure felt a lot bigger!!! My camera was in the truck so I put em in the livewell and continued in. Sorry about the way its photographed but 4lbs of flopping fish is hard to hold at arms length and still get in the frame and click. Great way to end the day ;D

20070630_0025.jpg

Congrats on the big fish man... Did you ever find out what went wrong with your engine?

I'm waiting till this evening as the temp is still around 92 and humid. I decided to cool off and surf the forum. I hope to be up and runnning by tomorrow morning. Maybe the traffic won't be to bad at sunrise. I suspect most of today's joyriders will be sleeping it off till 10 or 11 ;). Thanks for the concern.

23 1/2 inches?  That's a nice smallie!!  He looks a little on the hungry side otherwise I'd say 23 1/2 inches is even heavier!!  Them smallies pack a punch eh?

B

Yea, BShaner, I was surprised at the weight vs length myself(maybe my digital scales are off) :-/. The fish in my avatar photo were shorter but weigh more. They were caught around spawning time though. This fish looked a little haggard but fought hard.

I notice blood is dripping from the tail, is the tail beat up or just a tough hookup on her?  Almost looks like a post spawn female.  If that's the case I can understand the skinny.  Ya, the ones in your avatar are plenty healthy  ;)

B

Nice fish! I've often thought I was caught on something when hooking a smallie. Lots of times they'll just bull dog straight towards the bottom in one direction before they start to move side to side.

Yeah I noticed the tail also but seems a little late for just spawned fish here. Water temps have been over 75 for over a month. It was a clean catch (mouth hooked) so I don't figure that as the reason. Yeah, Dan, I could have swore that it was a 10lb or larger drum, almost dead weight but digging for the bottom. I didn't even think about where my net was until I saw her!! Hey, Nate, looks like my selenoid went out. No repair shops open on Saturday or today so no fishing from the boat till Tuesday >:(.

Don't count out the spawn.  This year has been a weird year.  June 16th we had a BFL up north by Lake Huron on Mullet and Burt Lakes.  The water temps were in the mid 70's so I went into the practice thinking they had spawned out since everyone knows smallies spawn in low 60's right??

There were bedders everywhere.  

Food for thought.

Congrats on the fish all that aside!

B

Man, 23 1/2", that fish should weigh several pounds more than 4-1...

On average, a smallmouth that length should weigh around 6 lb 5 0z.

Nice fish, great story!

8-)