Sign in to follow this  
notserp89mid

Summer Night Fishing

Well it's been forever since the last time ive been here, i actully forgot my password so i had to get a new name and such . But regarless its good to be back!

Well for the actual question.

What is yalls opinions on the best approch/lures/presentation for fishing for smallmouth at night?

Thanks!

I like craw jigs and tube jigs.

I have found the dark colors work the best. During the day a fish can see much better. It can inspect the lure you are using a little bit more carefully before striking. As humans, fish don't have perfect eye sight either and the lure presentation isn't as much as a factor as fishing in the day time... At night, if you are using the right combination, you are guaranteed a good fight night. I have been pretty successful on black tubes and senkos with cloud cover and during a full lit moon I will fish my plastics with some speckle. Black w/silver speckle works great at night with a lit up moon. Blues and greens fade with the lake color at night.

My number one lure for smallies after dark is a black and blue jig with a gycb twin tail trailer. I have also had a lot of success with brown and blue or a straight brown jig with a matching trailer. Also, a black and blue single spin can be deadly at times. They will about rip the rod out of your hands. The last thing that I like to throw for smallies after dark is a gene larew salt craw. That is the one bait that I will vary the color with more often. Black/blue, black/pink, black/org, etc.

A single spin is just a short armed spinnerbait with a large colorado blade. It puts out a lot of thump and vibration. Most people around here use a stan sloan zorro but there are a lot of other brands.

I agree with with everyone craws, little hair jigs, grubs, shakey head senko, and spinnerbaits are your best choices in dark colors except if your fishing crystal clear water like dale hollow in which case try hues of brown and green.

One of my favorite times to fish for smallies is late summer at night. A lot of things work at times for summer smallies, Jitterbugs, big Colorado single blade SB, etc but, day or night in and night out its hard to beat a big 3.5 or 4 inch tube with a rattle. I usually use black or some other dark color although, I am not convinced it makes that much of a difference. I have caught them just as well using green pumkin, smoke purple, etc, etc. I do think a rattle makes a difference. Just fish sloooooow and " count rocks " as we call it. Slowly drag your tube along the bottom ( chunk rock areas seem to be the best ) and really pay attention to the " feel " of whats going on. When in doubt, set the hook. :)

I think the best lure to use after dark for lunker smallies is a mister twister of a light teel color. I have had excellent luck with it already this year; already bagging 6 or so 4 pounders or better in the night. Just a suggestion, doesnt hurt to try.

Hello Grasemaster 101,

I am always open to suggestions, it dosn't pay not to be,lol. What color is this teel?, or did you mean " teal "? Also, what size are you talking, big, as in 5"?, and how are you fishing them? We have had a great summer night bite here lately. Not a lot of big ( #5's ) so far, this year but, lots of good 2-3 1/2 pounders. Tubes, tubes and more tubes has been the ticket here as usual. I am interested in your night grub tactic, mainly in how you have been fishing them, as I never had much luck with them at night unless I keep constant bottom contact, as in tube fishing. A little insight if you would.---Jim