Sign in to follow this  
stepchild

New Smallmouth record??

Hi all!

I'm acutally a long-time reader but this is my first time posting. I love the information you all share and gladly look forward to contributing to countless threads.

I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to post what I saw in a local newspaper this morning. Someone apparently caught a WR smallmouth about 30 minutes from here. Here's the link and feel free to discuss!

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/story.html?id=a9407333-cd21-4841-bb6e-cd971ecf743b&k=19874

Personally, I find it looks nothing more than a great catch by anyone's standards but nothing close to what the current WR looked like.

First of all, welcome to the forum. It's about time you said hi.

And for that fish. If that's the WR Smallmouth then that guy has the largest fingers in the world to.

Pure BS.

First of all, the World Record is 11 lbs 15 oz not 10-14. Secondly, in order to catch a 12 lb smallmouth, a few 10s probably need to be documented in the region over the years. Third, pictures only help CONFIRM possible weights, they are NEVER proof, especially in this day and age. Fourth, even if this guy is no sharper than a marble, he mounted a 25 lb northern which isn't particularly "special" yet decided to eat a smallmouth that he must have known was HUGE for the species. There is nothing credible in this story as far as I can tell.

BTW,

Welcome aboard! 8-)

It's pretty easy to see from the enlarged picture that the fish was no where close to 13lbs.

????, What was this guy thinking ? Ummmmn, not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Its hard to tell by the pic but, judging by his fingers and taking a estimated guess I am going to guesstimate it at around 7 something. It is a good fish by the tail size. What throws me is 22 inches and 12 lbs? I would think a smallie that wt. would be 24 or 25 inches. Who knows.

Guest Bountiful_Waters

I have not had my eyes calibrated recently, but I do not believe that is anywhere near 12lbs.