Sign in to follow this  
Valleye

Southern Vs. Northern techniques

This isn't a post to stir up memories of Grant and Lee,  However there is some differing tech. on how to fish for smallies during these summer months in Southern reservoirs vs the Northern Glacier lakes.  What are the main differences if any, are techniques drastically diifferent?

How do you guys approach summer smallies? and from where?

Thanks,

Well, the biggest difference is while the southern folks are fishing the peak of the spawn, we are still trying to catch them thru the ice, lol.

As far as summer.......

I am still catching them off the flats, while I'm sure the southern fish are looking for the coolest deepest water they can find due to the heat.

I fish the rivers here in MD and smallies don't always go by the book I can assure you. However, three places keep us in tune and our rods bent that come to mind for summer smallies. First thing in the morning I fish the grass, usually with a Cavitron, Spittin Image or Super Fluke. As the sun comes up I fish the main river channel almost exclusivly. I know our rivers like the back of my hand and if you are in a place where the average depth is say 1-5 feet and the main channel runs 12-20 feet it gets easy. I follow the channel with my depth finder or flasher and pinpoint underwater ledges, boulders, rocky bottoms and sunken logs. I usually go to a 1/4 to 3/8oz jighead/tube combo and throw straight up river. I like a 6'6"- 7' rod in med action with fast-xtra fast tip and #6 line in the summer while channel fishing. I make long cast because of the deeper water. Just cast, let it hit bottom, pop,pop works. Also, I like to fish the overhanging shade trees at times when I can't get anything else going.  I have had some good days doing this, although, its not much of a big fish producer. Another area that works in the summer is " the push ". It is the area above a rapid, ledge, bridge pier, etc. For example. When the current has a little speed and hits a obstruction, like a bridge pier, it creates a dead spot in the current, hensforth " the push ". Smallies will take advantage of this area to rest and use it as a ambush point for food being washed downriver. Mid river grass beds are still my favorite way to fish in the summer even though I like the channel better. I have caught some big smallies on 90+ degree days in 2' of water that is crystal clear, that tuck themselves in that grass. The shad, minnows and such use this grass in the summer as a home so, food + cover = bass. I rarely go near the bank in the summer unless the river is on a fast rise and getting muddy. Good luck.

Welcome aboard!

The main difference in the Mid South is that we don't catch many smallmouth in the summer and the one's we do are by accident! The best part of our season is fall and winter. This may carryover to some extent into the spring, but the spawn on the Tennessee River is February through mid-March. The summer months are VERY challenging. The best results are reported to be at night, but the numbers are still low.

Maybe dgquail will have a different take, he has had some recent success:

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1184933376

RW, we found out up here what the problem was as summer smallies can be frustrating at sometimes, at least for big ones. My buddies talk about the " summer gremlins ". They live under the bridges and along the river in those trees with the holes in them. Around the middle of May they shrink all the smallies and reconstitute them around the end of October. Yes, we have seen them, usually from my friends deck whom lives along the river and mostly during BBQ's after many cold beers !!! We will try to get a picture.  ;):)

The Gremlins have taken all mine hostage, but dgquail and electrikal seem to know how to find them this time of year. The easy fishing right now is striper and that's all I fish for on the river. Most of my "bass fishing' is confined to local ponds. Summertime is definitely NOT smallmouth season for me.