Sign in to follow this  
Daniel My Brother

Hooked on river smallies...

Like a lot of bass fishermen, my idea of fishing is strapping 6 rods to the deck of a boat, and heading out for an 8+ hour marathon on the lake. That's great in the spring and the fall when the fish are active. But when it's 95 in late July and even your hardcore fishing buddies are taking a pass, it can be tough to get excited about a day on the lake.

Recently my outlook changed. Last month a friend from work talked me into fishing for smallmouth on the Whitewater River. The Whitewater is a "river" in name only. It's not much bigger than a creek, and my expectations were low. I just couldn't see myself getting into fishing for 10 inchers.

Man was I wrong. I love everything about river smallies. They pull like a train, always seem willing to bite, and jump like crazy! Plus, it is so simple: one rod, and a bag grubs and I'm set. Best of all 95 degrees isn't so bad when you're hip deep in a cool river under a canopy of trees, and not another soul in sight.

Tonight I got my best of the year so far. Only 16", but enough to keep me coming back. :)

various.jpg

4" Chompers Skirted Twin Tail Grub on a 1/8th oz standup jig head.

6# P-Line CXX (moss green)

Seems like you have a good setup for smallies. Welcome to the club. Largemouth are fun but, smallmouth are a addiction. Good job.

Man, whenever I have the option of fishing for largemouth or smalljaws, there is never a question in my mind.

Congratulations! Sounds like the ticket to me.

8-)

Seems like you have a good setup for smallies. Welcome to the club. Largemouth are fun but, smallmouth are a addiction. Good job.

Amen brother, river smallies are the best. I went lake fishing for largemouth this weekend, and they just dont compare. give my my Mississippi, some senko's, and some fat ika's, and I am a happy man.

Thanks guys. My biggest challenge right now is just keeping it simple. It's too easy to spend a fortune on baits and gear when you get into a new style of fishing.   ::)

I have to keep telling myself that what I have is fine.

Thanks guys. My biggest challenge right now is just keeping it simple. It's too easy to spend a fortune on baits and gear when you get into a new style of fishing.   ::)

I have to keep telling myself that what I have is fine.

Keeping it simple is a good idea, it is way too easy to spend all kinds of money! I have about 3 different types of baits that seem to work regularly, and I stick with that.

All that I've been doing when I started bass fishing was largemouth fishing.  I totally forgot about our bronzeback friends.  Just recently I've been fishing smallies and boy have I've been missing out.  I've already landed my two best so far this season...perhaps personal best too.  I've been putting my largemouth friends aside for now and been paying alot more attention towards the smallies ever since.

Great job! Very refreshing report. I grew up fishing small flows here in the Blue Ridge and I can definitely identify with your enthusiasm. Very cool!