Sign in to follow this  
Lucky Craft Man

Caught Smallmouth Warning Others

I remember years ago how they would say that a caught and released Smallmouth has a way of warning the other Smallmouth in the area of the danger. I even saw an In-Fisherman show where Doug Stange would place the fish in the livewell to release later so it didn't spook the other fish. I haven't heard anything about this in the last 5 or so years and I release all my Smallmouth right away and have never seen the bite just "shut down" after doing so. Was this theory a myth or was there some basis for it back then?

I wade little streams for smallies, so catch and quick release is my only option. I do try to release fish downstream a bit, and If the fish are biting, it doesn't seem to matter.

I don't like the idea of stressing a fish out in a livewell. The faster a fish is released, the better the chances for survival.

I thought the same thing years ago but, smallies are smallies. I have caught tons of them and released every single one. If they are on the feed, say on shad, minnows, crawdads, or whatever, I don't feel, or at least, never came to a conclusion that it makes a difference. When smallies are on the feed they are on the feed, period. IMO

I have had it happen to me a few times.Usely when one breaks the line or comes off.Who's to say that was the reason they shut down or I didn't get anymore bites in that spot.

http://www.bassresource.com/fish_biology/smart_bass.html

Read that article, it brings up some interesting points on bass memory. I agree with the second argument, but both are good to read ;)

The basis for the myth that smallies warn each other was probably a marketing advertisement for live wells.

I caught three smallies around the same rock in about 10 minutes. If they're warning each other they need a new network.

I DO NOT buy into that theory, at all. The bite may turn off for a variety of reasons, but releasing bass is not one of them.

I stood in the exact same spot for over two hours today catching fish after fish (it was awesome). I must have caught 15-20 fish ranging from dinks to 2-3 lbs. If they are talking to each other, it aint about me and my fat ika's. Here's a pic of the biggest one (2lb 11oz)

08030717331xm0.jpg

I bet those smallies were telling each other how good that Fat Ika tastes!

8-)