Sign in to follow this  
naturalnbama

which works better in fall, humps or depressions??

getting ready for some fall smallmouth fishing on Wilson lake.  I have been looking at my map trying to locate some new spots to try.  I was wondering which works best in the fall, humps or depressions.  I have located a couple of each one.  I guess i could just ride over each area and look for fish on the fishfinder but what is the consensus on which is better for smallmouth in the fall???

ALL STRUCTURE in current has potential: humps, depressions (pools), ledges, ridges, transition, boulders and rock piles. ANYTHING that diverts the water flow.

What RW said. Both could be equally effective on any given day. And don't rely solely on the depthfinder's indication of fish. Unless you have one of Hummingbird's new Sideviews 8-), you're only looking at what is right under the boat for a brief moment. Use the DF to find the humps, depressions & structure and fish it out with a Rattletrap or crankbait. Spinnerbaits work well in covering a wide depth range. Watch the DF and note what depth the fish are at & try fishing that depth but don't think that just because you don't see any that they aren't there. Wish I could honestly say "If you fish it, they will come" because it sounds cool but I can say if you don't you won't know if they are there or not.

I don't know of alot of depressions on Ky.Lake.I do know of humps and some rockpiles that are productive,especially in the Fall.Current is everything.This is a time of year where LM and SM will congregate togather up here(or should I say down here?).

I don't rely on my DF to show me the actual bass.My partner is bad about running over submerged structure and looking at his DF.If he doesn't see what he believes to be bass,he moves on.Where I think he misses out is that SM especially may be hugged up tight to the bottom,not even showing up.When the TVA is generating water,in the Fall,SM are usually active and on some sort of current break.One thing that has puzzled me,one depth will not pattern.Here,spinnerbaits in 5 ft. out on the rocky flats will produce on the same day as a deep crankbait on top of a 15 ft. hump.