Sign in to follow this  
blake83

grub techniques

while smallmouth fishing should i put a jighead on a grub.

would i start jigging it up and down or would i just start retrievin it it

I always rig them on a jighead for smallies. For largemouth I will texas rig or split shot them with an Xtra Wide Gap hook when fishing near weeds and brush.

Smallmouth usually like a faster, bottom bouncing retrieve. Vertical jigging with them is good for passing over deep structure though. I prefer a tube for vertical presentations, and the grub for horizontal.

A simple cast and retrieve will usually work just fine.

8-)

It all depends on what you are trying to mimic. If you are using a color to try and mimic a crayfish than dragging it accrossed the bottom or small hops are the way to go, but in all honesty a tube or small skirted jig with trailer would probably work better in most cases for this. Grubs still can work great though....

Most of my grub fishing is with baitfish colored patterns and is fished to mimic baitfish. I try to rig them with lighter jig heads so they have a stalled effect on the drop, just try various twitches, jerks, and retrieves to see what works best at that time....

Welcome aboard!

8-)

Thanks man, pretty cool board here. Seems friendly, which is not very common with most of these fishing forums. Ton's of great information here. I can see I will not be getting much done today :)

This board is a "family". We still have our moments, but we try to keep it inline. ::)

8-)

Every "family" has their moments :). You always will have a few guys trying to cause trouble, but some forums just seem to thrive on it making it just an unfriendly atmosphere for everyone. Been looking for a forum to learn some new secrets on and maybe share the few things I have learned over the years. Looks like I have found the place. Take care and nice fish in the avatar there.

Kory

I always use Kalins grubs.

I rig the grub mostly on a jighead and swim it through the water column that I know or expect the bass to be holding at. You can also rig it on a carolina or split shot rig and it imitates a baitfish very well this way.

In my neck of the woods I hook'em tail down on a plain colored round,long shank jig head.Cast it out,let it hit bottom and try to maintain bottom with a constant retrieve.Sometimes they may like it a tad bit higher so I just raise my rod tip higher during the retrieve.It's a deadly tactic on springtime smallies here.