Sign in to follow this  
LastCast

Looking for a hook

I have been unable to identify this hook so that I can buy more.  It was included as a promotion item with some soft plastics I purchased. I remember neither the manufacturer of the hook nor the soft plastics. The wire is thinner than Gamakatsu wide gap 5/0 hooks.  As you can see, it has a wide gap and big offset between the eye and the point.   The hook is ideal for tubes and for large soft baits like a magnum fluke, skinny dipper and some swim baits.

post-21302-130162881045_thumb.jpg

do you remember anything about the name of the hook? did the name of the company start with an m? look at matzuo hooks x wide gap.

Not the same hook, but Owner Rigging Hooks have a similar offset hook point for big body baits.  Owners are better than anything else out there.

rignhook.jpg

The Owner is a good hook, but the bite is not as big and the wire is heavier.  I'll look at the other recommendations.  Thanks for the quick response and help.

To me it looks like a black weapon hook made of Sheffield steel they where imported from England. Gary Klien was the poster child of that company. The company was based in California they made jigs, spinnerbaits and hooks. That looks like one of the first attempts at a wide gap off set hook. It came out in the 80s early 90s the company is gone but they still make the hook in England. Maybe someone else has picked it up as part of their product line. If it is the same hook it is made from the best materials bar none. It is the same stuff they make knives out of. It is real hard to straighten and hold a great edge.

Looks kind of the VMC hooks that Storm used to put in with soft lures.

I checked VMC's website and did not see them though. Maybe something they make specially for Storm?

Bingo, I think the hook is the VMC hook from the Storm promotion packs I may have bought at Gander Mountain!  The VMC hook now available has the right wire diameter, but the bite is not quite as big.  I'll probably try the Matzu hook as an alternative.  Thanks to all for the help.