Sign in to follow this  
SammyLee

Creatures in Algae

Hey Y'all,

I've got the afternoon off and want to try a Creature in the lake near my house and have a few questions. I'll be fishing that new outfit with the six pound test, from the bank or maybe a jon boat near sundown. The water is pretty clear but the bottom is COVERED in this nasty, soupy, stringy green algae. Water depth seems to be about 25 feet in the middle with a drop off about ten feet out.

What color creature do you think will work? I am considering a Texas rig with no weight to reduce the algae/weed accumulations or drop shot. This issue with drop shot is that the weight will ALWAYS drag a mass of crap every time I move it.

The bass have been on bed the last two weeks but it looks to me like they may be moving to post spawn. I'm not seeing as many up in the shallows. Must be a ton of work for those males keeping that algae away from the bed!

Any hints on dealing with this algae? Unfortunately, my casting skills suck, so dropping right into the beds is hit or miss, mostly miss. Still haven't quite figured out the new rod/reel combination. Of course I was aiming for that tree! When it drops into the water, it'll be a sure strike!

Thanks in advance.

ps I meant to ask also, if a Creature is not the best for algae, what should I try?

SammyLee

Thanks Roadwarrior.  I got a pack of green pumpkin/black flk Kreatures.  Texas rigged with no weight on the 6 pound test.  Casting into and just out of the snot grass and got three bites with no hookups.  Not sure if was brim grabbing it but I had one small bass that I got nearly to the bank.  I swear, I don't think he was hooked but just holding on with his mouth.

I know that I need to learn how to set the hook with these baits and I think I am somewhat limited by the light rod and six pound mono.  Seems strechy when I haul back.  Oh well.  Another day another water.

SammyLee

A black yamamoto creature bait has never let me down.  It's the one thing I can usually count on if the bite is slow.

With four bites and one for sure a LMB I suspect the problem is on the handle end of the tackle. I've always had problems with soft bites which is why I've drop shotted so much. I'll keep trying and maybe get it down. That green pumpkin is so dark I suspect it's nearly as good as black, especially 6 to 10 feet down.

By the way, I did see a bunch of bass on the bed today. Not as many as last week but still a good number. They ignored everything I threw at them but from the bank, it's hard to sneak up on em.

I was messing around with the lure in about one foot of water, trying to see what kind of action it had and this little red ear brim swam out and bit one of the flukes! The Kreature was nearly as big as it was! When I say it "bit" it, that's what I mean. He was not trying to eat it, just run it off.

Scrappy little fish. I was a kid swimming near the dock and a d**n (em, Darn?) brim swam up and bit my nipple! I swear that's true and it hurt!

SammyLee

Hey Y'all,

I've got the afternoon off and want to try a Creature in the lake near my house and have a few questions. I'll be fishing that new outfit with the six pound test, from the bank or maybe a jon boat near sundown. The water is pretty clear but the bottom is COVERED in this nasty, soupy, stringy green algae. Water depth seems to be about 25 feet in the middle with a drop off about ten feet out.

What color creature do you think will work? I am considering a Texas rig with no weight to reduce the algae/weed accumulations or drop shot. This issue with drop shot is that the weight will ALWAYS drag a mass of crap every time I move it.

The bass have been on bed the last two weeks but it looks to me like they may be moving to post spawn. I'm not seeing as many up in the shallows. Must be a ton of work for those males keeping that algae away from the bed!

Any hints on dealing with this algae? Unfortunately, my casting skills suck, so dropping right into the beds is hit or miss, mostly miss. Still haven't quite figured out the new rod/reel combination. Of course I was aiming for that tree! When it drops into the water, it'll be a sure strike!

Thanks in advance.

ps I meant to ask also, if a Creature is not the best for algae, what should I try?

SammyLee

The pond I regularly fish has the same problem.  I either had to fish above or avoid the areas where the slimy algae grew.

No more.  Found by accident, not because I'm clever.

Get yourself some Owner Twist Lock hooks in the sizes you use.  They are also available with "keel" weights to keep lures upright.  I use mostly the weighted version.

They are the only coil lock hooks with the centering pin.  You can also buy the coil locks separately to use on other hooks.

Anyway, screw the bait onto the coil, right up  to the hook's eye.  Then, if necessary, back off until your bait is upright.  If you twist too far, it will cut a plug from your bait.

Then run the hook completely through the body of your lure so that the body is straight.  You want the portion of the hook from the bend to the point exposed.

Next, stretch the body away from the point toward the eye, 1/16th to 1/8th inch.  You may have to hold the body where the hook passes through to keep it in place.

Press the body against the point, then push the tip into the body the distance you stretched it.  You should end up with only the tip of the point hidden in your bait so it cannot snag anything, but even a light bite will expose the hook.

You should be able to work it through the densest growths of slime with next to nothing gathering on your bait.  Routine twitching on the return will shed all but a tiny amount of the gunk.

Try it in shallow water where you can observe how it works, and to get a feel for it.

Trim the tag end of your knot to remove any excess, leaving only 1/16th of an inch to snag the slime.  A quick twitch, easily sheds the stuff.

It's amazing to see the bait pass through the densest of the green gunk, and watch a slight twitch shed the stuff.

If you're uncomfortable with such a short tag end, super glue the tag end of the knot to the line, and remove the "snag" entirely.

You'll find it fishes rocks, lily pads, the filamentous algae, and everything else without snagging, or hanging up.  It even comes out of trees easily, provided you pull it slowly, and do not cause it to wrap around a branch.

I can routinely fish the places I had to previously avoid.