Sign in to follow this  
Cracker

help with losing fish

I have been fishing a Mann baby 1- w/red hooks lately and darn near everytime I get a hookup I go to pull it out of the water and the fish throws the hook >:(I am fishin a bps extreme casting  combo with 30 lb power pro, so I set the hood hard when they hit, but I still lose them. What is going wrong is it the hooks, the line, the fish, me I dont get it? Please help!

if your boat flipping them then don't if they come unbuttoned at the boat then play the fish out more.

all I can tell you is: Set the hook hard, ALWAYS keep your line tight, and if, for some reason, the line gets slack while you're reeling it in, take the first opportunity you get to make sure that hook gets back where it's supposed to be as soon as possible, i.e. set the hook again!  

(I am fishin a bps extreme casting combo with 30 lb power pro, so I set the hood hard when they hit, but I still lose them. What is going wrong is it the hooks, the line, the fish, me I dont get it? Please help!

How hard are you setting the hook? A crankbait hookset is not like a jig or texas rig hookset, its more like a quick snap with constant pressure instead of a 'cross their eyes' hookset. You could be setting the hook(s) too hard and ripping big holes in their lips. Therefore when you go to swing 'em, the small treble hooks come thru the big holes you've created.

And in my opinion, braid isn't the best choice to use on a crankbait or any treble hooked reaction bait of any kind, except maybe a trap around grass. Mono stretches and gives a little when the fish start to thrash, braid doesn't.

If you have sharp hooks you don't need to set it hard just sweep the rod. I use mono 90% of the time with any crankbaits except traps and fluorocarbon if i need the lure to get deeper. With braid it doesn't have stretch and if your using a graphite rod the rod doesn't have the give that a fiberglass rod would. between the stretch of the line and the flex of the rod it makes a lure harder to throw it absorbs the shock of a fight or hook set. (which creates smaller holes in the fish from the hooks) When you use 30 lb line it is like setting the hook using twine or rope compared to what I use which is 10 lb mono with stretch. Your using 30 lb rope with no stretch and ripping the hooks out. If the bass slapped at the lure and you hooked the fish outside of the mouth play the fish out and grab the fish or net it don't boat flip the fish not with a crankbait anyways.

I would use a fiberglass rod or a fiberglass/graphite mix with a flexible tip and moderate action for all crankbait use because it helps keep the fish hooked. Braid tends to rip hooks out easier as well because of it's lack of stretch. Try a fluorocarbon leader or switch to mono or straight fluoro. If the hooks aren't that sharp I like to switch to gamakatsu round bend trebles.

Suggestions:

1.  Use mono for the stretch.

2.  Use swing motion to right or left when setting hook.

3.  Keep line tight.

4.  If bass jumps, or you want to prevent jumping, put rod tip in water as you reel in the fish.

:)

Like Chris and FBL said, it is probably the line cause it has no stretch. Try a 12# mono and you should see better results. Also, try to net or grab the fish instead of swinging them. Puts a little too much presure on the fishes mouth with the treble hooks.

Thanks for your input guys, I will try to change line and see if it helps, I like the braid around here though because we have a lot of weeds and snags and I dont lose ANY lures with the braid.

Also I an fishing from a seawall that is anywhere from 3 to 8 feet tall so net isn't going to help a bit. but I will give the line a try;)

lol that would have been good to know at the beggining of the post...can you find a location closer to the water so you dont have to pull the fish up so far?

lol that would have been good to know at the beggining of the post...can you find a location closer to the water so you dont have to pull the fish up so far?

LOL! No kidding....he might want to get an extension for that net.

Also I an fishing from a seawall that is anywhere from 3 to 8 feet tall so net isn't going to help a bit.
Seriously, get a net!

I landed this fish myself on 6# line off a 10' pier using a net that I modified using an aluminum handle from a pool skimmer.  The fish (King Salmon) went 9 lbs.

203357454_Cc93N-M.jpg3

Same place, same net different angler, bigger fish:

207706875_BnbZN-M.jpg

Great info from you guys.  My crankbait deal is a softer rod and either fluorocarbon or copolymer line depending or the depth/type of bait.  

I think the M/H rod coupled with the braid is too much for crankbait fishing which is why you're likely loosing fish.  It may take some experimenting on your part, keep plugging away at it until you get it dialed.  Practice, practice.  

Try using a slow sweeping hookset, rather than a hard hookset - just let the rod load up with the fish's weight.  Hooks can/should be replaced if they're in question.  It seems you have a solid crankbait that's getting bit, so I'd keep using that bait till ya loose it.  

HAHA sorry about that guys :) but yeah I am typically limited on where I can fish and usually carry all my gear by hand so I guess that I will a different line and a different rod I have a elcheapo spinning rod that is much softer so I will try it on that and see what happens. I am going to bass pro later tonight for their members only night, (trying to win a kayak) and I will pick up some of their flourocarbon for my baitcaster.

Thanks for all your help guys 8-)

I fish sea walls and piers all the time.  Smaller fish up to about 6-7# just flip em up, larger you need a round bridge net