Sign in to follow this  
avid

Sabille magic swimmer

Anyone have much luck with these?

Gotta admit, mine looks great in the water.

Problem is the bass don't seem interested.

Any tips?

I have some of the small ones and the mid sized one. I like them, too. They do look good in the water. I usually just cast them and retrieve them with a steady, medium speed retrieve. This keeps them under the surface (I use the slow sink), and imparts a good action. I will occassionally stop them for a second or two and the start the retrieve again. This works well over weeds.

I also jerk them, but not as frantically as a jerkbait, because I've noticed they tend to turn around on themselves and get tangled. Not too much, but enough to be annoying at times. It does this more if you use a clip instead of tieing directly to the split ring.

The only fish I've caught on it was by retrieving it through a school of baitfish being chased. I casted past the baitfish and let it sink a bit, then burned it back.

Good luck!

I usually cast them out past a place where i know bass are holding and retrieve. Once i get to that spot, i then jerk it and let it kinda die off and let it sit for a few seconds between each jerk. I've caught a few bass this way, but not really with just a plain retreive.

change it up avid reel reel reel pause reel reel pause reel jerk pause ect.  ;)

I am waiting to buy one until I can find a 165 size in Holo Greenie or one of the other more natural colors.

I just bought a 125 and a Strike King Sexy Swimmer the other day at the BPS in Sevierville.  Really looking foward to throwing them.

They are good lures, I need to try the fast sinker.

A jerk retrieve presents a problem with the Sebile's (at least in my experiences with it). The tail tends to swing around in front of the head and gets caught in the line very easily. I do a lot better with it when I just reel it and slow it down every now and then. Its been a great bait at night when the bass are busting shad up shallow.

This is a awesome clear water bait. In my experience, the further the cast the better chances of landing a fish.

Our local lake is so clear you can see 20ft easy, the Sebile Magic Swimmer on 10lb Fluoro is the best combination to load the boat quick! They will hit this whether they are feeding or not simply because of the great action.

I haven't had any success with the lure either but maybe its time to give it another chance over the grass in the shallows... ;)