Sign in to follow this  
SDoolittle

crankbait hooks

Do high priced crankbaits like Lucky Craft and Megabass have good quality hooks or do they need to be replaced like most of the lower end lures?

I think the hooks on them are perfectly fine. I don't replace them on the high end baits, or on H2O's, which have VMC's.

I think the hooks on them are perfectly fine. I don't replace them on the high end baits, or on H2O's, which have VMC's.

x2.  Hooks on all prices of crankbaits are fine.

x2. Hooks on all prices of crankbaits are fine.

I havent found this to be true at all. Some may seem sharp right out of the box but the 'lesser' crankbait hooks lose their points very easy.

Not saying all of 'em are junk, but you should always check ANY hook for sharpness. A sharp hook is critical.

As far as Lucky Craft and Megabass baits, in my opinion, there is no need to change them until they get dull, which will take longer than the lesser brand hooks.  

The only hooks that I don't like out of the package are brass hooks.  Most of them are fine starting out but I find the brass hooks rusting faster...which sucks because I really like Tx3 hooks.

Do high priced crankbaits like Lucky Craft and Megabass have good quality hooks or do they need to be replaced like most of the lower end lures?

Well, the lucky craft hook that went the entire way through my big toe seemed pretty sharp to me  ;D

But yeah, like everything else on a lucky craft or megabass bait, they are the highest quality. The hooks are very sharp right out of the package, they definitely don't need replacing until the get dull, and like FBL said, that takes a while.

I change the hooks on amost all my crankbaits even some high end baits.  Just because the bait is a high end bait don't mean that the hooks are.  

I was fishing a tournament a few weeks back.  I tied on a brand new lipless crankbait in practice.  The crankbait I was throwing was a $8 bait.  Not the very top of the line but by no means cheap.  I lost at least 6 fish on the bait with the factory hooks.  I switched out the hooks for the tournament and didn't lose a fish the whole event.  I did replace the hooks twice during the tournament.  If a hook bends or turnsover a point I don't sharpen or use pliers to straighten them out.  The bait gets a brand new hook.

The only hooks that I don't like out of the package are brass hooks.  Most of them are fine starting out but I find the brass hooks rusting faster...which sucks because I really like Tx3 hooks.

I agree.