Sign in to follow this  
topwater.va

Texas Rig- Hook Size

So here is the basic question...

I was wondering what size hook you guys would use for 4, 6, 8 , and 10 inch worms when texas rigging?

Also, do you differ in the size of hook you use for creature baits or is it dependent on just the length of the bait?

So here is the basic question...

I was wondering what size hook you guys would use for 4, 6, 8 , and 10 inch worms when texas rigging?

Also, do you differ in the size of hook you use for creature baits or is it dependent on just the length of the bait?

Would depend on the size of the girth on a given worm, generally 4-6" 2/0 straight shank gammy 7-10 I go to a off set 5/0 ewg gammy. Of course everyone has their own way fo rigging..

Once again for creature baits, depends on how fat they are, usually a 5/0- or larger.

When selecting hook size thickness of the plastic should be your number one concern :D

For me, 4 inch- 2/0, 6 inch- 4/0, 8-10 inch- 5/0. Catt's right, thickness of plastic should also be considered. All my worm fishing is done with EWG hooks, I feel I have a better hook up ratio with them.

For 4" to 6" worms I would use a 3/0 hook.  For 7" worms I use a 5/0 hook.  For 10" worms I use a 7/0 hook.  For thick plastics I may go to a EWG hook.