Sign in to follow this  
tallydude

A Great Day On Marion City Lake- 79 Fish!

wiper.jpg

IMG_1411.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

bluegill.jpg

I'm a little late in posting this, but as many of you know we recently relocated from the bass friendly haven of Florida to the bass friendly haven of... Kansas. Learning these new waters has been a challenge to say the least. I was fortunate enough to realize a fellow member lived close to Wichita and went to visit him. Thank God I did. He sent me to Marion City Lake and Park about an hour and a half away. Fantastic fishing. I stayed about 7 hours and finished with 79 landed fish. Most were bluegill (I was going ultralight), but I managed a couple nice (Kansas) bass, a decent wiper, and a surprising channel cat. All were on 4 lb test, so the cat and the wiper were a lot of fun. I did practice a little selective harvest (I kept no bass)and fried up a few bluegill later that night.

I haven't figured out how to move the pics around in the post since the format change so if someone could point that out, I'd be grateful.

Sounds like a good time man! I still have yet to catch a striper! Have fun figuring out the new area - I definitely know the feeling!

Congrats on the good day and welcome to Kansas! If you want to find some lakes close to you check out Kansas Department of Wildlife's website www.kdwp.state.ks.us, go to fishing and choose where to fish in Kansas. I know there are some good lakes in your area. You won't find any with the size bass you may be used to in Florida but we do have pretty good variety! You might also check out a walk in fishing atlas. It's a program the state does where they basically rent private ponds from willing property owners. There are some pretty good ponds that you can fish if you take the time to find them!

Thanks Bluebasser- haven't heard of fishing atlas but will check it out!

You can also download the fishing atlas on KDWP's website but I like to have my own so I can have it with me when I'm looking for a pond. I usually try to find them on google or bing maps because they can be really hard to find with just the atlas!