Sign in to follow this  
SoftbaitJunk

First Tackle?!

Hi guys,

i need my very first fishing tackle for bass fishing and i dont have an idea what too choose or pick.First of all i need a Rod,Reel and Line.

I fish on a small lake which is 5m deep and very clear.Cast distance is 20m-30m.

A boat is not allowed:(

I love to fish with softplastic(Jigs and Texas Rig).

It's difficult for me to discirbe what i really need to know,cause im german and i wanna fish for the 'german bass',he's smaller then the normal bass and he isnt in cover...he bites not that aggressiv and i hope u guys can help me to get my first tackle for the fish(fishn style is the same,i only use smaller baits).So maybe i need to use a different rod or reel?

I really hope my English isnt that bad and u can understand me :(

Friendly SJ

Your english is fine (: And we can help you even more if you can give us a price range!B)

Ah yes,i forgot to post it ;)

Price for the rod shouldnt be more than 300$,Reel 300$ and for the line i really dunno what the good lines cost?Maybe 30 $???

With one sentence,if the rod and reel fits perfectly in my eyes,the price doenst matter that much.

P.s:I know its the wrong thread but if somebody could name me some good bait companies(size shouldnt be more then 5")???(maybe i get a chance to fish on the real bass in authum in italy)

Friendly SJ

I would get a Dobyns Champion 7' M/F paired with a Daiwa Zillion. Get some quality braid like Sufix 832 and you'll be set. I'd also recommend purchasing these at ***.com They dont charge tax and shipping is free if you spend more than $50 . (Not sure about internartional though). And while your there you can search through the soft plastics to see if anything there tickles your fancy.

Hmmm okay,

i was on tackletour yesterday and picked a St. Croix Tournament Casting Rod 6'8" Medium(1/4oz-5/8oz and 8-14lb.)But i also picked a Zillion :) ,it was the Zillion Coastal Cast Reel(would fit with the color,only thing is the fast ratio,i prefer a low ratio to jig or rig very slow).

So i have a question,are the Dobyns rods better then the St.Croix or is it personal choice?So i shouldnt buy fluoro as line???I thought most guys fish fluoro that days(see it in some bass videos).

And u right, i find a bait company which is perfect,Yamamoto will send me 15 pks of plastic...my mom is goind to kill me :)

Thanks a lot for the fast answers

Friendly SJ

St. Croix and Dobyns are both great companies with great products. You cant really go wrong with either one. The Zillion is a good choice of reel also. As for line, I would recommend using braid, such as Suffix 832, with a floro leader. Just cut about 4 feet of floro and tie it to the end of your braided line. This way you have the added sensitivty and no stretch of braid with the invisibility and abrasion resistance of floro. ;)

I think the Dobyns will fit the bill better. St.Croixs are generally a little tip heavy which you may not like. Dobyns will balance a little better. And the Zillion Coastal is an excellent choice. I really like the color too!:rolleyes: It will look killer on A Dobyns Champion. But rods mostly are going to be personal choice, as is all fishing gear. You can fish fluoro line if you wish, but I recommend braid because it's the most sensitive line out there, and it has an extremely small diameter. If you're worried about fish seeing your line, but add a fluoro leader about the length of your rod.

Ah okay,

so i decided me for the Dobyns rod,in my eyes the color fits perfectly with the Zillion.And i also ordered the Suffix braid,now im pretty nervous:)I hope they are fast and i'll get the order in 1-2 weeks.

But i have one last question,can somebody tell me a good dvd for starting with this type of fishing style(its not my first baitcaster and if also fished texas before but maybe a dvd can help to catch lil bit more:)

Thanks for the good and friendly help:)God bless america and the ***** awesome bass stuff:)

Friendly SJ

I've never actually watched a fishing DVD, but try youtube and the videos on this site. Also reads the many articles on this site! There are articles specifically for worming and jigging.

God bless Germany also all the other Bad *** things you have and we dont B)

A good starting point would be to read the fishing articles on the site. There is a lot of useful information in each, and they will help you learn multiple techniques as well as general bass behavior, weather conditions ect. Also the setup you have purchased is a darn good one, but it wont help you catch more fish. I bet KVD could out fish all of us with a zebco 33 Good luck, and welcome to BR! :D

Go to lunkerville.com and watch the episode called jighead. It is the best breakdown of jigs I have ever seen.

-gk

I read 3-4 articels now and its funny i have a totaly different fishing style on some techniques but its very interessting.Sometimes i dont get the message of a part of the text but all in all its good:)

@hookingem:

KVD is great but i prefer Jason Quinn,cause he was the man in my first fishing video if ever seen about bass fishing(its the video where he talks about his life as a Pro).

So thanks for the help and i hope i can get some picks of the first fish which will be catch by the new tackle:)

Cheers

SJ

don't worry at all about the 7:1 ratio...the reason being that you should work your baits with the rod, not the reel. the reel is just to take in slack line and to bring in the fish. the faster ratio is really the way to go for the majority of soft plastics techniques. cheers!