Kowen117

Need A New Spinning Reel

I am in the market for a new spinning reel for my 7'mh carrot stix. My budget is $200 but I would be willing to spend a little more if I really like the reel.

Here are my main needs for the reel:

1. Durability as the reel will be used in fresh and saltwater

2. Drag I fish very heavy cover and I cant have my drag slipping on me so a heavy drag is a must.

3. weight it is going on a carrot stix so it needs to be as light as possible

4. it needs to have decent line capacity to let any big saltwater fish run without spooling me.

Thanks I look forward to your suggestions.

Most smaller saltwater reels (4000 series)have similar max drag ratings,and depending on what you call large fish should hold enough line, especially if it's braid, I've been spooled a number of times using larger spinning reels. Once you get into 5000 reels the weight does jump up,and so does line capacity and drag.

I'd be more concerned in how that reel matches up with the rod, the drags and performance of those reels are pretty close. I have my favorites, doesn't make them the best just makes them the ones I like, I'm in to Penn Conquer these days.

Where I'm going to use that reel would have a lot to do with what I'd pick, I have different choices for inshore and offshore.

Shimano CI4 is on sale on GanderMountain, $149 after $20 off coupon.

gmg20 - 20 dollar off 100

CI4 is light weight and has a drag of 15#s on size 2500 and up. Saltwater approved.

size 3000 has capacity of 8mono/170 yards and weights 7.2 oz

But I would go for size 2500, should be good enough for saltwater bay/harbor and surf fishing and not too big for freshwater species. Use braid is you are worried about getting spooled.

Thanks guys. What I called big fish arnt huge inshore snook and redfish but I recently had a 40lb gar spool 175-200 yards of braid like I was using a ultra light reel. So I am stepping up my gear the ci4 looks nice. How much of a weight gain am I looking at if I go up to a 5000 series

max size in CI4 is 4000.

STCI44000F - 9.3Oz with 10#mono/200 yards. It cost $20.00 more.

Any reel with a small crank handle, round and especially made out of foam does not even get consideration from me, I don't care how well the reel performs and super lite is not as enticing as it once was for me. Just about any of the major brands make a reel that will do the job more than adequately. I own reels from about 6 different companies and I like them all, many recommendations are based on ownership of 1 brand name or 1 model. In today's world it's hard to make a mistake buying a new reel, they are all pretty good.

In my view, the rod is a better place to spend extra money for lightness. Ironically, the small percentage of combos that are naturally balanced consist of a featherweight rod and a middleweight reel. Balance is a personal preference, so it's important to understand that shedding ounces from the reel will move the balance point forward, which lends to top-heaviness.

Roger

I think you'll find that a super lightweight spinning reel will make that 7' MH rod feel very tip-heavy.

look for a flooger medalist, it is about half of your price range and a pretty solid reel.

-gk

Tackle Warehouse has a Daiwa Tierra spinning reel for 79.99 plus free shipping. It normally sells for 124.99. :)

That *** and others have the Stradic FI and Sustains on sale tells you a new one is coming out at ICAST. Ive got the 4000 and 2500 size CI4. The 2500 size is all you'll ever need for bass. Ive gotten reds and snook to 20lbs on it and line capacity was never an issue. The 4000 is a tank solid but as light as anyone elses 2500 reel. Its a no brainer and is my main saltwater reel. Check the 3000 size for a good compromise if you wish. Only bad side with Shimano, I still cant get parts for the CI4's. Well over a year since it came out and still no parts available. That is crap. If you fish for big reds and snook you will eventually need replacement eva grips. Cant even get a new chromed rear body bumper piece for the 4000. Next spinning reel will be a Penn Conquer.