Sign in to follow this  
fishboy456

Quarry Problem... Wi

Hi all this is my first post here on bassresource but ive been reading a lot of sticky here and learn a lot from this forum! i got a few questions. I'm from Milwaukee, WI and there is this quarry that I always go to but never can catch any of the big bass that roams around this quarry. The biggest I caught there is a 6 lbs largemouth bass on nightclawler. I tried a lot of fake lures but nothing seems to work at all. They are very picky eaters. Ive been using live bait but still cant catch the hogs that lives in this quarry. Its a 26-acre Quarry Lake only shore fishing no boats are allowed. No bait fish just largemouth bass, a few smallies, blue gills and stocked trout and 1 or 2 big carp. The deepest area is about 50 ft deep. Very clear water. aside of this quarry is a tiny water/pond with tons of crawfish/frogs. I tried fishing early in the morning but havent tried at night yet. Any suggestion for me would be great!

That is a pretty good sized lake with very deep water that makes bank fishing difficult. I night fishing might not be a bad idea because the bass should be less spooky at night. Small finesse worms or other plastics in natural colors on light line/hooks/weights would probably be a good place to start. If there is big bass and they stock trout I wouldn't be shy about trying a trout colored swimbait either. Live bait is always a good bet in really clear water with spooky fish. I'd probably try a nightcrawler more if you've had success with it before. Crawdads would be another really good bet I'm sure. You say you can't catch one of the hogs out of there but you've caught a 6 pounder? Isn't that pretty much a hog for Wisconsin?

Thx for the reply! Yes 6 lbs is pretty big but I know there are bigger bass in this quarry. There is two massive bass that roams the quarry together. They make my 6lbs look small. Crawdads work great here to. What lure/live bait would be good for night fishing? I was thinking this quarry is unbalanced due to the abundant food they have.

You can't beat the Jitterbug at night, when the water is pretty calm. What's the name of this quarry? Where is it?

You might try a big, dark colored worm with a light weight at night. Big jigs and single colorado bladed spinnerbaits can be good too.