Sign in to follow this  
Missouribassman95

A Good And Bad Day Of Fishing..

Well the good part is I took one of my buddies out to my favorite pond, and we caught about 20 fish between us (biggest one over five pounds)! It was alot of fun. I hooked him up with a nose rigged zoom superfluke, and he caught alot of Bass.He caught the biggest one of the day. I was fishing with a t-rigged 10 in. Berkley powerworm, and caught quite a few too!

The bad part is other than the five pounder all the bass we caught had a really sucked in stomach! they were freakishly skinny! :(

This is the first year I have ever seen the bass like this. Usually they're nice and plump. I think it's because last year the owner stocked about 50 white, and black crappie in the pond. The crappie look fine and are great eating size, but the bass are suffereing. Should I start taking out the small crappie, and bass? the bluegill population seems fine. There are some huge ones in the pond!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a pic of two of the bass I caught. All of the bass looked like this. :unsure:

007.jpg

006.jpg

I'd run it by the owner first before you take fish out if he's the one that stocks it

Ya he's told me to just throw the small ones on the bank but I just don't what to waste the fish!

Yes, you should keep some of the other fish (and a few of the bass too). They are outcompeting each other. I have the same problem in one of the ponds I fish and the next few times I'm out, I'm bringing a stringer.

Crappie never seem to be good for a pond unless that's all you want in it. I'd take a bunch of crappie and smaller bass out and maybe talk to the pond owner about stocking shiners or fathead minnows.