Sign in to follow this  
tentimesover

Plastics Hook Size

I recently purchased some 2/0 weedless hooks for wacky rigs, the first 2/0 hooks I've ever purchased. I typically use 4/0 for all my plastics but read somewhere that the 2/0s were recommended. When I received the 2/0s I was concerned that there was not enough gap to hook up with a good size bass. I've used them and had pretty good success with the wacky rigs -- but, I still think I'd feel more comfortable with the 4/0s. What do you use with your wacky rigs?

I recently purchased some 2/0 weedless hooks for wacky rigs, the first 2/0 hooks I've ever purchased. I typically use 4/0 for all my plastics but read somewhere that the 2/0s were recommended. When I received the 2/0s I was concerned that there was not enough gap to hook up with a good size bass. I've used them and had pretty good success with the wacky rigs -- but, I still think I'd feel more comfortable with the 4/0s. What do you use with your wacky rigs?

1, 1/0, 2/0 depends on the bait size.

Yep, depends on bait size.

for 5" senkos, I use 1/0 and I haven't lost a single bass on them.

Yep, depends on bait size.

It's five inch Senkos exclusively I use with a Wacky rig. Those 2/0 hooks with the gap that looks to be about 1/2 inch just look so narrow compared with the 4/0s I normally fish with and have had such great luck with.

It's five inch Senkos exclusively I use with a Wacky rig. Those 2/0 hooks with the gap that looks to be about 1/2 inch just look so narrow compared with the 4/0s I normally fish with and have had such great luck with.

the problem with the bigger hook is that it adds weight to the senko, which hurts the action. you want to use the smallest weight possible that is still big enough to hook bass, which I believe is from 1 to 2/0. anything bigger than 2/0 is too heavy, imho.

Maybe I'm just not seeing it but what style hook did you get? The gap on hooks will vary depending on the style of hook. I like the mosquito hook or wide gap finesse hooks in 1/0 or 2/0 and there is plenty of gap to hook a fish with.

Maybe I'm just not seeing it but what style hook did you get? The gap on hooks will vary depending on the style of hook. I like the mosquito hook or wide gap finesse hooks in 1/0 or 2/0 and there is plenty of gap to hook a fish with.

Here's the hook I ordered:

"Owner Weedless Wacky Hook 2,Featuring a Flex Nylon "Weedless" guard, this is a great hook for drop shotting or wacky rigging soft plastics. This is a great hook for fishing in and around heavy cover. Features include a Super Needle Point and Camo Green finish."

I can see the point about the larger hook affecting the action of the Senko. I'm continuing to fish with the 2/0s. The largest fish I've caught is about 1.5 pounds on it.

FWIW...here are the Gamakatsu #58411 1/0 Offset Shank Worm EWG hook weighing in @ .43 grams

And, my wacky rig hook the Gamakatsu #230313 3/0 Red Finesse Wide Gap weighing in @ .47 grams.

Hoping my 3/0 is good to go cuz I own a boat load :huh:

DSC00876.jpg

Here's the hook I ordered:

"Owner Weedless Wacky Hook 2,Featuring a Flex Nylon "Weedless" guard, this is a great hook for drop shotting or wacky rigging soft plastics. This is a great hook for fishing in and around heavy cover. Features include a Super Needle Point and Camo Green finish."

I can see the point about the larger hook affecting the action of the Senko. I'm continuing to fish with the 2/0s. The largest fish I've caught is about 1.5 pounds on it.

that's the exact hook I use. I use a 1/0 and have caught 4+ lb bass on it with no problem. If you are worried about the hook being too small, don't. Most people I know who drop shot, including myself, use a tiny size 1 drop shot hook which is about 1/2 of the hook gap of a 1/0 wacky hook. I have also caught 4+ lb bass on those hooks. I understand where you are coming from though, as I used to feel the same way :)