Sign in to follow this  
Ricky Gene

Loading New Line On The Spool.

I just got my first baitcaster, and i am just curious as to why you load a baitcaster with the spool vertical, and a spinning real with the spool horizontal. Any other tip for loading a baitcaster would be great.

It's so you don't get line twist. It makes the line easier to break. I put the line through the first guide on my rod to make sure it spools evenly and put the spool between my feet to keep a bit of tension on the line.

Thanks for the help, I had it sent over here so i could get used to it and not lose line and lures. Is there anything I should look out for when i first start practicing with it?

Use heavy weights to begin with. It'll be much easier to start casting with. Also set the spool tension so that the lure drops slowly when you shake the rod tip. The spool should stop turning when the lure/weight hits the ground. I'd also suggest turning your brakes up pretty high. You can lower them as you progress, and you will gain more distance. Also, if your used to spinning reels, the casting method is quite different. When using spinning reels a lot of people use the sort of, snap, cast. With Baitcasting gear you want to a lot more fluid and let the rod do the work in the casting. Also, make sure to feather the spool. You want to barely be touching the spool with your thumb throughout the whole cast, and then stop the spool as soon as your lure hits the water.

Thank you very much.

Always welcome.

Well now BASSclary...

I'll give credit where credit is due.

Your advice and instructions are spot

on. Good job!

B)

Well now BASSclary...

I'll give credit where credit is due.

Your advice and instructions are spot

on. Good job!

B)