Sign in to follow this  
tholmes

What Style Jig Head??

I'm thinking about buying a jig mold to make weedless bass jigs. I've made ball head jigs for years, so I'm familiar with the process.

I only want to buy one mold (for now) and I would appreciate some opinions as to what style of jig head would be the best for all-around use. Football, Arkie, or something else?

Thanks!

Tom

I'm thinking about buying a jig mold to make weedless bass jigs. I've made ball head jigs for years, so I'm familiar with the process.

I only want to buy one mold (for now) and I would appreciate some opinions as to what style of jig head would be the best for all-around use. Football, Arkie, or something else?

Thanks!

Tom

Arkie is more all around than football.

Poison Tail or Arkie.

I have an arky mold I'll be putting up on the flea market, if you're interested?

What kind of waters do you mostly fish in? Weedy, rocks, woods? If you can answer that question you can narrow down your choice.

I have an arky mold I'll be putting up on the flea market, if you're interested?

What kind of waters do you mostly fish in? Weedy, rocks, woods? If you can answer that question you can narrow down your choice.

PM me about the mold Jigfishin10!

The small lake that I fish most often is an abandoned sand quarry, about 50 acres in size. The (very steep) shorelines have been shored up with rip-rap to prevent erosion and there's quite a bit of submerged timber in there. Most of the water that I can reach from the shore is from 0-15 feet deep. There's not a lot of vegetation, just a few patches of grass and weeds here and there.

There are both Largemouth and Smallmouth in the lake.

Tom

Arkie is definitely an all around style. Maybe not great for weed, but it will get you by.

Thanks, guys!

Looks like I'll be going with the Arky style.

Tom

That'll work well, so long as you're not trying to punch through grass or mats.

They are REALLY great around laydowns and docks. When you lift it and it hits a branch, that fat head kicks out, and gives the trailer a little dance. You often get bit after the deflection.

Thanks, J. The lake I fish the most doesn't have heavy weeds and certainly no matted vegetation, just some patchy weeds and grass. Just a LOT of rocks (actually chunks of concrete) and lots of submerged timber and brush. Sounds like the Arky jig head will be my best option.

Tom

Have you tried an arky and/or a football head in your waters?

The Arky style is what I've used the most, I jsut wondered if there were better options for me.

Tom