Sign in to follow this  
Laggyman

Floating and Suspending Jerkbaits

What's so different between Suspending and Floating Jerkbaits?

I haven't been able to find much difference in catch rates or anything except I can get my lure back from snags a lot easier with floating ones...

I have read the added weight of suspending (Even more with sinking) jerkbaits dumbs down the action of the lure somewhat.

How do you guys use these??

I'm in the proccess of reorganizing my tacklebox and am wondering if I should stock up on a few floating versions. I currently only have suspending ones.

With a suspending jerkbait or crankbait you can dangle the bait on their face until they bite it Laggy, feature that comes handy when the fish are not in the mood to chase baits.

Suspending baits are especially good for extremely cold water temperatures, when a 30 second(or more) pause is the only way they will bite.

Suspending baits are especially good for extremely cold water temperatures, when a 30 second(or more) pause is the only way they will bite.

I'll second that. Since fairly drastic drops in temps that is just about the only thing that's gotten me any bites around here. Deep running, suspending shad raps (especially jointed) with a little twitch now and then along with loooong pauses have done the trick with the lazy LM's in the cold water. Baby bass, crawdad and shad have been very productive. I wouldn't be without a couple in my bag.

Do you guys think I'll regret only stocking up on suspending ones?? Seems to me they have quite an advantage. The added weight makes them easier to cast further, and like you guys said they will also work in colder waters.

I just can't find a reason to buy the floating versions  :D

sorry i got a small question not worth makin a new thread about

would a rapala X-rap be a suspending jerkbait?

it sits for several seconds and then slowly starts floatin up to the top.

"Suspending" baits only suspend under certain conditions and that's normal.

I'm not sure what else affects it, but Water temp sure will.  

id definitely have a few of each laggy.  i use the suspending more but when the fish are active in the later spring i love the floating jerkbaits.  you may have better restraint than me but i wouldnt be without at least a few of each.

matt

That's what I was thinking, but I never had much success with floating versions. Maybe I'm just using them at the wrong time. The same with Crankbaits. I only have floating Crankbaits, but always wish they were all suspending cranks....

Whenever I reach out for a jerkbait at the tackleshop, I always find myself looking for ***SP....

Someday I'm going to regret this...  :D

sorry i got a small question not worth makin a new thread about

would a rapala X-rap be a suspending jerkbait?

it sits for several seconds and then slowly starts floatin up to the top.

Change the hooks to the next size, the added weight will make the bait suspend, been doing that to Shad Raps for over a decade.

I use a floater more as a topwater bait,with great results.On the other hand,I use suspending baits in cool and cold water conditions to put the bait in a bass's face and entice a lethargic fish to strike.I've also used LC Pointers in warmer water to catch 'em.

"Suspending" baits only suspend under certain conditions and that's normal.

I'm not sure what else affects it, but Water temp sure will.

Correct, suspending baits have an optimum water temperature (density changes with temperature) in which they suspend nearky perfectly.  Otherwise, they may rise or sink.

My LC's and Bombers suspend much better than my Husky Jerks.  The Husky Jerks have required added weight to get them to suspend as well in the same conditions.

Brad

I fish year around, when the water get < 50 I only use jerkbait and lipless, over the past 2 years my best have been.

1) LC Slender in Aurora Black. ( got more fish for me and got me more tourneys than any other hardplastic )

2) Yo-Zury Haqrdcore Drum in Holo Shad and Matte Tiger.

3) Silver Buddy

I use a floater more as a topwater bait,with great results.On the other hand,I use suspending baits in cool and cold water conditions to put the bait in a bass's face and entice a lethargic fish to strike.I've also used LC Pointers in warmer water to catch 'em.

That sounds good!! I gotta try that!