Sign in to follow this  
Fish Chris

Report From The Last 2 Days.....

Well, Monday pretty much sucked. Couldn't catch any Split Tails to save my life ! Finally had one right to the side of the boat, but it fell off :(

So, then the Striper fishing (with frozen Split Tails) sucked too. Had a couple small hits, but they wouldn't commit....

Now, I'd like to think that "if I had had live Split Tails" I'd have whacked the Striper's...... However, I have this sneaking suspicion, that the same thing that had the Split Tails turned off {POST frontal} probably had the Stripers turned off too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, yesterday morning, I started out 1 hour earlier +, with the tide being 40 minutes later, it gave me almost 2 more hours of good water movement, for my bait fishing... and Bam ! :) Stuck several Split Tails in about 45 minutes. Culled the best 2 (possession limit is 2) and went fishing :)

Stuck the first Striper in about 30 minutes. Then, caught them here and there for the rest of the day. Ended up catching 6 Stripers, four of them were in the 10-13 lb range... 1 about 7-8, and I weighed the biggest one at 17.2 lbs. Not a bad trip :)

Can't wait for next week. So far, the weather report is showing nothing major coming up. Plus, a much better tide next week too. So I'm hoping the Stripers (especially the big females) will be in full swing by then ;) Whooo Hooo !

Peace,

Fish

PS, That 17.2 lb'er actually chased my Split Tail to the surface (heck, it's only about 2-3ft deep on a low tide) and blasted it like a "live" top water lure ;) Fought like a freight train too ! :)

• Like 1

Do you recatch the split tails in between using them on fish? Congrats on the outing!

Jeff

Oh.... no... believe it or not, the Split Tails are amazingly tough, and usually survive (barely) a Striper catch, or two. And even after they are dead (fresh dead, is better than frozen) they can still work quite well.

It's more fun to be able to watch your line jumping from the bait though, then right before it gets blasted, it starts really freaking out (like Ohhhh $#!^&& ! :)) which totally gives you a heads up.... On the other hand, when your fishing with a dead bait, and your line jumps, it's pretty obvious your getting a hit too :)

Either way, I just love sticking these big, bad-**** Stripers ;)

Can't wait for next week already :)

Peace,

Fish

Awesome! Sounds like a great time. Might go after some this weekend. I will post a report!

Jeff

the one i hooked up with saturday was about 200 yds below the dam out in the middle of the current on the bottom. was dragging the bottom slowly and felt my bait start shaking then a thump. :DB) B) B) made that drift(dam to first powerlines) 5 more times and only caught a few drum.

Good going Chris. I'll probably make a trip to the Delta sometime this week as well. :)