Sign in to follow this  
flipin4bass

Vintage Lures, To Use Or Not To Use...

Like a lot of anglers out there, I've hoarded lures over the years, especially when I discover that they are being discontinued. I always keep a couple for "working copies" in my boxes, but some have become unuseable, especially the balsa lures. Some of these lures have been good producers for me and have landed many wall hangers. I've been cleaning up my gear for next year and pulled some of these lures out and I know they need to be retired. Broken or crack lips, finishes almost completely worn off, and cracked bodies are just some of the ills these lures have suffered. I'm sitting on over a thousand of these old lures in my "man cave," still new in the box, that I was saving for what, I don't know. I went ahead and opened a few of them and replaced the ones I had removed from my utility boxes and then I went on Ebay to see what they are going for now. Many of these old lures are going for anywhere from $30 to over $100 or more. I never considered myself a collector, just someone who has had a serious lure fetish ever since I picked up my first Heddon back in the 50's. The wife also knows that some of these lures are worth many times what I paid for them and she thinks I'm insane for wanting to use them. The way I look at it, I'll get more enjoyment using these old lures on the lake than seeing them sit around collecting dust. Am I insane??

I too have several old lures. I use them to replace when i need to. I decided to save them and give them to my grandson when its time. I would like to see him put them to use. Maybe it will give him a hint of how hard fishig was for us oldtimers.

If it were me, and I had a thousand of them, I'd keep a selection of them to fish from time to time...keep a few more to put on display...and eBay the rest.

I still have some of my baits from the 1960s and fish them from time to time. All are used - none are NIB. It's only about 15 or 20 baits though. I lost one of them on the bottom earlier this season and was crushed. It was a little ultralight MirrOLure that probably hasn't been made in many years. Almost made me quit fishing the rest of my 60s baits. I think I will be lining up a selection of those old baits, catch one more fish on each, then retire them to display.

Like a lot of anglers out there, I've hoarded lures over the years, especially when I discover that they are being discontinued. I always keep a couple for "working copies" in my boxes, but some have become unuseable, especially the balsa lures. Some of these lures have been good producers for me and have landed many wall hangers. I've been cleaning up my gear for next year and pulled some of these lures out and I know they need to be retired. Broken or crack lips, finishes almost completely worn off, and cracked bodies are just some of the ills these lures have suffered. I'm sitting on over a thousand of these old lures in my "man cave," still new in the box, that I was saving for what, I don't know. I went ahead and opened a few of them and replaced the ones I had removed from my utility boxes and then I went on Ebay to see what they are going for now. Many of these old lures are going for anywhere from $30 to over $100 or more. I never considered myself a collector, just someone who has had a serious lure fetish ever since I picked up my first Heddon back in the 50's. The wife also knows that some of these lures are worth many times what I paid for them and she thinks I'm insane for wanting to use them. The way I look at it, I'll get more enjoyment using these old lures on the lake than seeing them sit around collecting dust. Am I insane??

Unless you have a special person to hand your old stuff down to , fish them. B)

While your wife is probably right, if fishing with lures from the past makes you happy then why not? Isn't that what you bought them for? It's not like you don't have a few!

It does sound like you have a collection of baits that some 'real' collector :lol: might be willing to pay a premium for, esp if sold as a collection. Serious collectors are a different breed. Having an extra couple of favorite baits is just good sense, but having things like fishing tackle and gear that will never get used, or unfired guns in the safe, or undriven cars in the garage is not for me. Some will say that since their collections have increased in value they are a good investments. Sometimes that is true, but most of the time it has little to do with money.

You know,I bet if you look hard enough you can find somebody that can refurbish your old baits.It might be a little bit pricy to do that,but your bait will be good as new again.

The wife also knows that some of these lures are worth many times what I paid for them and she thinks I'm insane for wanting to use them. The way I look at it, I'll get more enjoyment using these old lures on the lake than seeing them sit around collecting dust. Am I insane??

You're not insane and none of us can can tell you what to do. They're your lures and you should do whatever you're more comfortable doing with them.

I'd sell those old ones and use the money to buy a few new lures and go on a nice fishing trip for a weekend, or maybe a whole week depending on how much you make.

I'd sell those old ones and use the money to buy a few new lures and go on a nice fishing trip for a weekend, or maybe a whole week depending on how much you make.

I was feeling a little guilty when I started this post and I've decided to use some of these lures. I've always been able to take vacations without selling off my fishing gear and besides, what would I play with in the winter months when it's too cold to fish? No, when the wife and I are gone, my kids will probably lay them out on the driveway and end up giving them away to some lucky individuals. In the mean time, I plan on drowning some of these punkinseed and dowagiac lures, there are generations of bass out there that have never seen them and I'm going to give them a proper introduction.

I was feeling a little guilty when I started this post and I've decided to use some of these lures. I've always been able to take vacations without selling off my fishing gear and besides, what would I play with in the winter months when it's too cold to fish? No, when the wife and I are gone, my kids will probably lay them out on the driveway and end up giving them away to some lucky individuals. In the mean time, I plan on drowning some of these punkinseed and dowagiac lures, there are generations of bass out there that have never seen them and I'm going to give them a proper introduction.

That sounds like a pretty good plan to me. I'm just a college kid who still lacks the money, and wisdom to look at things from a veterans perspective (haha). I hope you have luck "introducing" those old lures to the bass, they worked well in the past for a reason so I'd imagine they're still going to catch fish for you. The image of your kids selling off your treasured lures at some garage sale gets my stomach all knotted up when I picture it. I can imagine I'd be rollin over in my grave if some day my kids sold all my gear that I loved for a quarter a piece.

The older wooden lures you have still in the original boxes are valuable and easy to sell. The lures out of the box are not as valuable and more difficult to sell.

I would keep the boxes lures and fish with the lures out of the boxes.

Antique lures, those made before world war II with glass eyes are true collector items and worth saving. How valuable are lures? Your memories have value to you. How much money are they worth? nothing until you actually sell them. It is up to you what you decide to do with your stuff. If you don't need the $$ why sell them?

Tom