Sign in to follow this  
Fish Chris

Todays Striper Report > Crazy Ending !

Caught my bait pretty quick 2 Split Tails and 1 Squaw (bonus bait :))

Long story short, they were eating pretty good :) I caught 3 fish in the 13 lb range, and had several slams, runs, and drops.

Sorry, no photo fish.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But hey now ! As you might have guessed, I have spent a LOT... no, a TON of time running around in my little boat. And fortunately, I have run into very few and small obstacles. Until today !

On the way back, I'm at max rpm (5500) water was like glass, I'm pretty tired and relaxed..... when all of the sudden "THUD" !!! The motor never skipped a beat.... but my heart did !

So of course I immediately spin around to look behind me, and in the prop wash I see a LARGE fish {I dunno' like 20 to 30 lbs ?} do two big spirals. Weired part was all the blood. Either a Striper or a Salmon I guess.

I think this is so rare, because basically all big fish know how to get out of the way of a boat, or else they would not have gotten big in the first place :) LOL

This fish could have been sick, or otherwise on it's way out....

But that definitely woke me up !

Peace,

Fish

PS, My roommates all asked if I turned around and went back.... Well, I totally thought about it, but just as I was going through an area with fishermen on both sides of me, is when I slammed it, and I really didn't want to be an arse, and hammer the breaks on, crank a big U-Turn, only to go back and find nothing.

Hmmmm...cant say as I have ever hit a fish while running...... Would like to have known what it was though. On second thought, I have hit asian carp, but they dont bother me to hit and kill EVER!!

Jeff

In the lakes that I fish, Gar and carp are the ones that get hit most often. I've had several incidents with each recently while scooting across the water at higher speeds but the strange incident for me this year happened while idling over a mid lake hump in 15ft water. My buddy noticed a school of about 10 big carp just under the surface and just as I shut the motor off, 1 of them made a bee line straight at us and rammed the side of my boat hard enough to knock itself out :blink: I looked it over closely and it didn't appear to be blind or injured otherwise so I eased off and fished a ledge nearby. A few minutes later the carp regained consciousness and swam away. I think it might have been a territorial response or something because the fish definitely targeted the boat with aggression. We laughed about it later wondering what the other carp thought about their buddy acting a fool like that :D

Big O

www.ragetail.com

In the lakes that I fish, Gar and carp are the ones that get hit most often. I've had several incidents with each recently while scooting across the water at higher speeds but the strange incident for me this year happened while idling over a mid lake hump in 15ft water. My buddy noticed a school of about 10 big carp just under the surface and just as I shut the motor off, 1 of them made a bee line straight at us and rammed the side of my boat hard enough to knock itself out :blink: I looked it over closely and it didn't appear to be blind or injured otherwise so I eased off and fished a ledge nearby. A few minutes later the carp regained consciousness and swam away. I think it might have been a territorial response or something because the fish definitely targeted the boat with aggression. We laughed about it later wondering what the other carp thought about their buddy acting a fool like that :D

Big O

www.ragetail.com

Maybe his buddies put him up to it. There is a lot of notoriety to be gained by ramming Big O's boat. Heck maybe the bass put him up to it thinking you might leave them alone. :D

Perhaps he could "see" you, on account of dem Camouflage shorts and all.

:)

A-Jay

LOL :) Great story ! :)

Fish

Big O

www.ragetail.com