Sign in to follow this  
pondassasin

Spool Bearings

I just purchased some abec 7's to swap out in my Curado. I thought I had heard that if you only change the bearings without sanding the friction areas that it could cause damage. Is this true?

I just purchased some abec 7's to swap out in my Curado. I thought I had heard that if you only change the bearings without sanding the friction areas that it could cause damage. Is this true?

While you may not enjoy the full potential of your reel without the polishing of the friction points. I can see no reason why upgrading bearings would cause any damage to your reel.

Damage to what? I've changed out lots of spool bearings and no, it doesn't cause damage anywhere. BTW, sanding is not polishing.

Damage to what? I've changed out lots of spool bearings and no, it doesn't cause damage anywhere. BTW, sanding is not polishing.

I meant polishing, just making sure. Also, do you run your bearings dry or use oil?

A new quality reel will benefit almost as much from a deep cleaning including flushing and proper lubing of the stock bearings as it will from upgraded bearings. Most of the upgrades I recommend are when the bearings need replacing anyway. New bearings should still be flushed and spin tested to be sure you don't get a dud. Super Tuning (poishing..) is an additional modification unrelated to new bearings. This is best left to experienced technicians or at least approached very causiously. If you have a Lews, simply remove the bearings and measure them IDxODxWidth (thickness). Ceramic Hybrid bearings can be run dry but I usually run them open with a very light application of a high speed oil. SS bearings should always be oiled.

A new quality reel will benefit almost as much from a deep cleaning including flushing and proper lubing of the stock bearings as it will from upgraded bearings. Most of the upgrades I recommend are when the bearings need replacing anyway. New bearings should still be flushed and spin tested to be sure you don't get a dud. Super Tuning (poishing..) is an additional modification unrelated to new bearings. This is best left to experienced technicians or at least approached very causiously. If you have a Lews, simply remove the bearings and measure them IDxODxWidth (thickness). Ceramic Hybrid bearings can be run dry but I usually run them open with a very light application of a high speed oil. SS bearings should always be oiled.

Thanks, I'll probably end up sending a couple reels your way too polish. Thanks for the advice