Sign in to follow this  
ptomacbass

Dents In Glass Boat

I have an Older Ranger (364V) and it has 3 long, rather shallow dents down the top left side. They each seem to have a deepest point, and while far apart, are all lined up. I also have 1 or 2 others which I know were caused by weights hitting the side. Anyone know what the others could be? Any way to fix them? Thanks.

Sounds more like gouges than dents. If you have three that are parallel, my guess would be that the boat rubbed against something like a piling with three nails, screws etc. that protruded from it. Could have been a metal bulkhead with three protruding objects that scraped against the boat.

If the three are in line, then it would appear that the boat rubbed against something as it was moving, then moved away from what caused the damage, then back against it as the boat was moved back against the object by waves or wind while continuing its forward, or backward movement.

I'd tend to guess it was moved against the object by wind or current. Were it caused by waves moving the boat, the scrapes, gouges, or dents would not be in a straight line. The result would be a zig zag line.

If the boat has a metalflake finish, it will be nearly impossible to match the original finish. If it's a solid color, then you need to get a matching gel coat. How to proceed depends on the depth of the damage.

In either case, it's not a job for the inexperienced or faint of heart. Once the repair is slightly higher than the surrounding area, it must be wet sanded down to a smooth even finish, then buffed in progressive stages to ever finer compound to swirl remover then finally to a cleaner glaze which will fill the microscopic pores. After that use a good wax or boat finish protectant to protect it from the sun's ultraviolet rays.

Sounds more like gouges than dents. If you have three that are parallel, my guess would be that the boat rubbed against something like a piling with three nails, screws etc. that protruded from it. Could have been a metal bulkhead with three protruding objects that scraped against the boat.

If the three are in line, then it would appear that the boat rubbed against something as it was moving, then moved away from what caused the damage, then back against it as the boat was moved back against the object by waves or wind while continuing its forward, or backward movement.

I'd tend to guess it was moved against the object by wind or current. Were it caused by waves moving the boat, the scrapes, gouges, or dents would not be in a straight line. The result would be a zig zag line.

If the boat has a metalflake finish, it will be nearly impossible to match the original finish. If it's a solid color, then you need to get a matching gel coat. How to proceed depends on the depth of the damage.

In either case, it's not a job for the inexperienced or faint of heart. Once the repair is slightly higher than the surrounding area, it must be wet sanded down to a smooth even finish, then buffed in progressive stages to ever finer compound to swirl remover then finally to a cleaner glaze which will fill the microscopic pores. After that use a good wax or boat finish protectant to protect it from the sun's ultraviolet rays.

Not gouges, but dents, like on a car. They are on the top too. I am thinking maybe acorns.

That's weird. I've never seen "dents" in fiberglass. It either breaks, gets stress cracks, scuffed, or gouged.

I make fiberglass race car bodies and I've never seen one get dented, and they get beat up pretty bad at the local, weekly stock car tracks. A lump or high spot in a mold will produce a hollow or dent in the finished product, but once cured, I don't see how it can happen. Even so, the low areas/dents will need to be fixed the same as if it were a gouge. They will need to be filled using the same process I described in my prior post.

Dents in fiberglass from acorns? Gonna need some pics.

I don't currently have a phone that can upload pictures and can't find my digital camera. Do you guys think there would be any way to remove the dents?

The reason you won't get anything definitive is because fiberglass doesn't usually "dent." It cracks, fractures, shatters, but denting? If they really are dents, they'll probably turn into holes if you try to remove them.

The reason you won't get anything definitive is because fiberglass doesn't usually "dent." It cracks, fractures, shatters, but denting? If they really are dents, they'll probably turn into holes if you try to remove them.

I'm thinking that somehow it may just be the gel coat.

Pics really would help. Have someone with a camera/phone email a pic to you, and post it.

Pics really would help. Have someone with a camera/phone email a pic to you, and post it.

Sorry for the bad pictures, I had to use my laptop's webcam. They are kind of hard to see but are clearest just right of the penny. The pictures make them look small.

post-15287-0-36342900-1323376827_thumb.j

post-15287-0-23465600-1323376833_thumb.j

post-15287-0-50343900-1323376843_thumb.j

Hard to tell from the pics, it looks like the gel coat is just cracking.

Not saying that they are not dents. Just that fiber glass generally speaking won't give without cracking. I don't have much experience with bass boats but I have helped a guy do some glass work on a scarab. Think you should take it to a professional to look at before trying something on your own!