Sign in to follow this  
ynnhoj86

Does Putting Gills On Swimbait Help

pretty excited to get all my swimbaits to have gills now but have you notice a difference with the bites?

2011-12-29184924.jpg

I don't know. Have you ever seen a real gill with a hook coming out the top of his body?

Here's my take on this...I believe it all has to do with confidence. if you have a lure like your huddleston and you give them gills then that to you probably makes you think that the bass might be more willing to bite it. Then what results from that is that you're more willing to throw the lures more. But imo I get the same number of bites regardless of the gills or what not.

Nice work. I saw a show last year where a CA pro does that to all of his swimbaits for confidence, so it may help and it certainly cannot hurt.

And here's a video fif anyone's wondering how to do this.

Threw a swimbait all day today and got one hit. I had confidence in them and thought they looked great but guess the bass weren't interested. Maybe another day.

I've done that to a couple of my soft baits, also I painted the gills red a 2 of my hard swimbaits, 1 of my punkers. In my case it made no difference in my catch ratio.. :Idontknow:

I could see an advantage possibly in clear water where the bait is dead sticked or fished really slow, where the fish has a lot of time to examine the bait. I have had fish key in on chartruse tip of a robo worm hot tip. However more often than not I think it will make no difference.