Bass-minded

Farm Pond Trouble

I live in middle Tennessee, next door to a farm pond. It is stocked with bass, brim, channel cats, blue cats, and flatheads. I can't seem to catch very many bass. They won't take plastic worms or crawdads, buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, plugs, or jigs. The bass that I do catch, are caught on plastic lizards or live worms or live insects. What am I doing wrong?

you have to try to use different techniques...also the weather,water-temp,and clarity of the water are a big role on what to throw into the water... a roster tail is always a good way to start out on a new pond also go with more natural colors such as: watermelon seen,pumpkinseed,junebug,and if your state regs let you try and hook a bream in the back with a big cork and see if you have any luck.

I live in middle Tennessee, next door to a farm pond. It is stocked with bass, brim, channel cats, blue cats, and flatheads. I can't seem to catch very many bass. They won't take plastic worms or crawdads, buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, plugs, or jigs. The bass that I do catch, are caught on plastic lizards or live worms or live insects. What am I doing wrong?

i imagine its a pretty huge pond if its got channels, blues, and flatheads in it. whats the size of the bluegill and population of them like? but anyways, this time of year(winter) i have never had much luck with soft plastics, but if you fish them, be sure to fish them really really slow. i would try a suspending jerkbait or a shallow diving crank bait, both have worked well for me in cold water in ponds. if i were you i would be trying to catch some of them catfish too, theyre a blast as well.

Thanks guys! The average size of brim are 4 oz. The population of them is quite large. The lake is about an acre.

I also fish a "farm" pond nearby, and I'm assuming, that like mine, there isn't much fishing pressure. I use zoom trick worms, in the pink color, from spring to fall, and it's dynamite. Maybe you could try that out? As advised by the owner, he said that in the winter, the fishing shuts down, and after fishing it a few times, I've found that to be true. Maybe wait until spring, when it'll probably be very active. If your using live crawdads, are they in the lake? If not, I would try using something similar to the forage food in the lake, like a sunfish swimbait, or a 3/8 jig (I prefer the blue and black booyah boo jig for elsewhere) and fish it slow. Also, you could try a rapala countdown, in a bigger size in the gold color, or silver and black. Again, it may just be the season, you may need to wait until it warms up, but anyways, good luck!

Tight lines,

PB

Thanks guys! The average size of brim are 4 oz. The population of them is quite large. The lake is about an acre.

i just wonder if an acre lake can effectively support blues, channels, and flatties.

I also fish a "farm" pond nearby, and I'm assuming, that like mine, there isn't much fishing pressure. I use zoom trick worms, in the pink color, from spring to fall, and it's dynamite. Maybe you could try that out? As advised by the owner, he said that in the winter, the fishing shuts down, and after fishing it a few times, I've found that to be true. Maybe wait until spring, when it'll probably be very active. If your using live crawdads, are they in the lake? If not, I would try using something similar to the forage food in the lake, like a sunfish swimbait, or a 3/8 jig (I prefer the blue and black booyah boo jig for elsewhere) and fish it slow. Also, you could try a rapala countdown, in a bigger size in the gold color, or silver and black. Again, it may just be the season, you may need to wait until it warms up, but anyways, good luck!

Tight lines,

PB

i thought the pond i fished in the winter shut down too. until i tried a rapala husky jerk and hooked up with a 4lber last february just after ice out and then another 1lber on the very next cast. the fishing was extremely slow though. and its particularly rewarding to catch a fish or two if you manage to pull one out in the cold water. also, slow rolling shallow cranks like the manns 1- and some other floater/diver type baits worked for me.

I agree. I like using a shallow diving crank, the bomber square a, and that works well on another lake. I also love the jointed rapala shad rap, which dives to 4 feet, in the baby bass color. It's actually one of my go to lures this winter. It has good vibration and sound even when slow rolled, I would suggest it.

Does wal*mart carry the rapala husky jerk?

Does wal*mart carry the rapala husky jerk?

yes it does, atleast my walmart does, thats where i bought it at lol

Plus in the spring when the water heats up if you go down to the pond try to wear camo or natural colors and you will get a chance to see what size the females are in the pond if the water clarity let's you.