BASS-N-TATERS

Go To Winter Bait In Memphis Area

ok memphis and shelby county guys. what lures are we goin to right now!

I've had the most luck with jigs lately. I keep trying the Rage Baby Thumper and Baby Anaconda, as well as some lipless cranks, but it's been all about the jigs since the weather's been cooler. I'm fishing browns and greens with matching trailers. Slow and low.

where have you been fishin lately.i am goin to be tryin out the collierville civic center sometime this week

Shadalicious and jigs.

A lot of people would have a hard time believing this, but I've pulled my biggest largemouth out of the Johnson Park pond in the last year. A couple 3.5's and a 4. Now I'm trying to figure out this deep pond at the Library. It's a big one to walk around and guess with. It's steep ledge all the way around. Still haven't figured it out.

I've been hunting crappie spots lately while I'm in a bit of a largemouth drought.

I may go give the Chick-fil-A lake a go this week or next.

I don't have a boat, so I'm limited.

None of the ponds around allow any kind of boat.

Right. And what I meant is that I'm restricted to bank fishing, in the neverending quest to land the big one in the local ponds.

im in the same boat as you Fish. any luck on the crappie spots

When I'm catching medium crappie in small numbers, I'm eating ... And let's just say the family had a great meal last night. I had to deal with a half dozen snags to get 'em, but I was happy since it was a new spot and I was catchin' fish. If I could float over the fallen trees, I know I could get some really big ones, but I had to grab the medium-sized ones on the edges of the cover.

I was fishing in this muddy little shallow lake BEHIND Johnson Park. You take a paved trail behind a neighborhood where the woods begin. It's tucked back there with little-to-no traffic.

dude that sounds awesome .are you referring to johnson road park behind germantown baptist church

wow i never would have known about that third pond. i just looked it up on google. is that a public spot? what are the crappie hitting? have you bass fished it? sorry for all the questions

Tubes. Tutty Fruity Tubes and Squirming Squirts. I caught a baby bass fishing for crappie. Haven't targeted bass there.

Every time I run into people fishing, someone tells me about some new, random spot to try out whenever certain species come up in conversation. I believe there are hundreds of places to go around here, but I only have so much time! It's frustrating. Google Maps reveals just how many little ponds/lakes are around us.

Guys try the Shelby Farms pond by the stables have not been there in awhile but it used to be good for me. I have another pond i know of but you need to pm me for that info.

The new lake at Johnson Park in Collierville is awesome. Me and my old man have been fishing it alot in the past year or so. Only problem is that it won't hold water. We talked to a Collierville Parks guy about it...but anyway. We have pulled a few 2-4lbers outta there (and put em back, catch'n'release only here). We should meet up out there sometime.

Pops caught a 2lber in Johnson Park new years day. I one upped him with a 2 1/2 lber. It is full of good size fish. Sometimes hard to find em though.

New lake? Which one is considered the new lake at Johnson Park? The one back in the woods at the end of the long blacktop walking path?

Yes by new lake I mean the one in the woods. I love fishing soft plastics back there, but we have caught them on everything. From crank baits to spinner baits to plastics. Also the little pond directly behind the ball field has some good size bass in it. I know of atleast one 2lber that's in there.

There are so many little ponds there, I've always thought the city would be doing a great thing if they stocked them all with something different. The 2 or 3 little ponds next to those baseball fields are just perfect to throw some blue cats in!

That new pond seemed so shallow when I was there this past weekend. I stayed in one area for the most part, but where I cast to, it seemed it never went deeper than a couple feet. I'm sure the other side (along the tree line) is probably deeper, but I never went over there.

It does have some shallow areas, but I have caught bass all the way around it. The right side is the deep side though.