Sign in to follow this  
NCLifetimer

Reel Disassembly Questions?

I've been disassembling some of my reels recently. I've run into two problems.

First, what is the best way to remove shields from bearings? I'm having a heck of a time getting them off. I'm guessing their is a tool/method for this?

Secondly, on a Abu Garcia SilverMax, am I suppose to be able to remove the pin(picture below) that is to the right of the spool bearing? I would like to get the bearing off to clean it properly, but I can't manage to remove the pin and I'm hesitant to use more force then I currently am.

DSCN1327.jpg

Thanks, Chris

To remove the pin, just use a point of a hook to pry/remove the c clip in the bearing. If the shield is permanent then you have to use an awl or sharp pointed sturdy pin to puncture and pry out to shields.

For the spool pin, here's the link for the tool to remove the pin.

http://www.bassresou...__1#entry981726

To remove the pin, just use a point of a hook to pry/remove the c clip in the bearing. If the shield is permanent then you have to use an awl or sharp pointed sturdy pin to puncture and pry out to shields.

For the spool pin, here's the link for the tool to remove the pin.

http://www.bassresou...__1#entry981726

Dang, that tool costs more than his reel!

That pin is one directional on ABU reels. The chances of damaging the pin, spool shaft or spool itself are high if you are not careful. My suggestion is to strip the line and blast the bearing with brake cleaner.

Without some specialized tool, you run the risk of making a mess of things. Do as DVT Mike recommends above.

Yeah, you don't really have to remove that pin, nor the shields on the bearings. I had the Black Max a while back, never a problem with those particular areas. The line guide pawl and roller clutch bearing failed before the spool shaft bearing, so maintain those parts a little more.