Sign in to follow this  
Jigfishn10

Buzzbait Blade Finish?

The past couple of years I've had a tough time getting a fish to bite a buzzbait and it used to be one of my favorite topwater lures. I decided to experiment on a white painted blade this past summer and had some success with it, but do you really think that a finished blade makes a difference as opposed to the standard aluminum finish? I really doubt that the white blade I switched to was the difference.

YES!! That flashy blade that comes on a lot of baits is probably spooking your fish or they may be conditioned to seeing it. One of the lakes I fish a lot if you fish an aluminum blade they won't hardly touch it but if it's a black painted blade they're all over it. Sometimes it makes a big difference in clear water or on cloudy days also. It's along the same lines as fishing a bone colored crank vs a chrome colored one. Sometimes all that flash is just overkill but sometimes it's the key. You just have to try both sometimes and see what they're wanting.

• Like 1

All white 90% of the time. Otherwise gold. I 've gotten away from the traditional silver/aluminum color and catch a ton on buzzbaits.

Thanks for the advice guys. I just finished pulling some of my buzzbaits apart and sprayed the blades. While I was at it, I switched out the aluminum rivet and replaced with it with steel. Ended up soaking the steel ones in salt water...LOL

Thanks again, I wish I could tie a buzz on tomorrow!