Brand0n

Lightweight, Durable, Baitcast Rods Under $50?

My only luck is walmart specials on quantum im6 green rods for $21. They are so light and hold up to anything. Well balanced also. Im looking for another route. I got another reel on the way but want to try out another lightweight cheap priced rod....

The next time your in Wal-Mart, try a Berkeley Lightning Rod. A little more than the Quantum, but IMHO, a better rod.

(Yes, I own both, so I'm speaking from experience)

Tom

every one ive picked up has the pistol grip i cant use them hardly unless im using an antique zebco 33 ive seen them with the split grip but nothing over 6' medium action

I hooked up to a couple Tarpon from a Miami bridge with one of those Quantum "green" torsion rods :P

The Berkley bionix is a good wally world rod also. I own 2 in the crank bait model and they have served me well. But if you can go up $10 and have an Academy near ya try out the H2O ethos rod they sell. Just picked 3 of them up and I absolutley love these rods. I actually took back 2 vendettas so I could get em

Cabelas might still have some of those camo rods for 29 bucks. I handled one in the store and thought it would have been a great deal if I was in the market for a rod.

where's Red Earth? He'll extoll the benefit of the Ugly Stick for you. :P

My only luck is walmart specials on quantum im6 green rods for $21. They are so light and hold up to anything. Well balanced also. Im looking for another route. I got another reel on the way but want to try out another lightweight cheap priced rod....

I suspect you have a BPS fairly close to you, they have the new 2012 model Lightening Rods for $28!!! Take a look at those.

FFO has the 2011 models online for $20-$22 as well

+1 for the Lightning Rods. Just about all my rods are Lightning Shock, since I use braid, and they are amazing!

where's Red Earth? He'll extoll the benefit of the Ugly Stick for you. :P

HA! i was about to recommend the Ugly Stik Lite-Pro. i think mine costs $38 at wal-mart. mine is a spinning model though, paired with a pflueger trion gx-7. its a 5'6" Light rod. its light weight and certainly durable. i've caught a couple 4lbers on it, very fun...

my closest bps is over an hour away :/ but i have a new academy 30 minutes away

I purchased a daiwa procyon rod for $50 bones. I thouhgt for the price it was a great rod, so I got 2 now haha.

I use one for a worm rod and one for a frog rod (both MH 7'0).

They are a bit tip heavy but what rod isn't for $50.

I was crushing the hooksets on buried fish with 50# braid and the procyon held up great all season and in perfect condition for year 2.

my closest bps is over an hour away :/ but i have a new academy 30 minutes away

That Academy will quickly become your best friend when it comes to gear. They have some great deals and great lookin stuff. I was all about the bps stuff till Academy came to town.

If I were in your shoes I would pick the lighting rod every time over the Ulgy stick .I would fish a tree branch before a Ugly stick!! :lol-045: