Sign in to follow this  
eyedabassman

Enigma Bc Reel??

Good reel or not so good? Looks like a nice reel, I have not held one in my hand. Any info please would help?

Reminds me of a Quantum Code for some reason.

We had 2 or 3 threads on this when the reel was released at the beginning of 2011 - search on "enigma reel" in this forum and you'll find the conversations. Back then, only a few people had actually handled the reels and no one owned one. Several people reported that the braking system was very effective when properly adjusted. Perhaps someone has purchased one since and has some on-the-water experience.

In the earlier conversations, I gave BPS kudos for coming up with a new braking concept that might be "beginner friendly" in reducing likelihood of backlash during the learning curve. That's a good thing to get more people using BC reels and could result in increased sales of more conventional BC reels as the beginners transition to more advanced/expensive equipment. OTOH, the inner and outer centrifugal systems gives lots of adjustment options - perhaps something that a beginner may not want to mess with. In a way, the reel truly is an enigma - perhaps an answer in search of a question so to speak. It IS different, that's for sure.

Other comments about the reel in the earlier threads is that is has a graphite frame - a negative for most folks, and that it has big lips and is just plain ugly!

Very good reel. I bought one during Bass Pros black friday. It came as a combo. As for the reel itself, it is very well rounded. Braking system is very user friendly. I use it for my jigs, and it will cast very far when properly set. Good bang for the buck. Looks good too.

I dont like my reels to have "lips" and I dont like them to have graphite frames. I'd say save some more money for a better reel such as the pro qualifier on sale, which it will during the spring classic.

I think the new ones have an aluminum frame.

Absolutely correct. I guess most of us didn't realize that BPS has re-engineered the reel and released a new model for 2012. It now has an aluminum frame, different centrifugal inner and outer pins, and an external adjustment for some of the centrifugal settings. External appearance is different as well (the lips are gone!)

BPS is obviously committed to this new braking system.