Ok, heres my next project. Im gonna be traveling to Boston this summer for my honeymoon, and got the Ok for fishing with a friend of mine while up there. I also have the Ok for buying a rod and a new reel to use (no you cant have her, I found her first) for this trip. I use 65# Spiderwire for my line, and need a 2 piece rod that will handle this. I was looking through Bass Pro, and some of their rods are 2 piece, but no aluminum oxide coated guides. Dont want to spend a huge chunk for this, maybe $200 + or -. Also, any ideas for a travel bag to put a rod and reel in thats good for an airplane? Anyone ever do any air travel with gear?

Buy an outfit up there and go striper fishing, do something you don't normally do. You can use the same outfit here for snook and tarpon

How long are you going for? Maybe your friend has an extra outfit, save the hassle and the money.

Im going for a week, doing a couple days worth of fishing. Im looking for another reel to add to my arsenal, but Im waiting till after March to purchase it. Hopefully there is a good sale on one by then. As far as the rod, I might as well just buy one, due to he is a spinner fisher, and I cant stand using spining rods. Also, Ive got the OK to do this, so Im not gonna turn down her actually approving a purchase for once ;)

Im going for a week, doing a couple days worth of fishing. Im looking for another reel to add to my arsenal, but Im waiting till after March to purchase it. Hopefully there is a good sale on one by then. As far as the rod, I might as well just buy one, due to he is a spinner fisher, and I cant stand using spining rods. Also, Ive got the OK to do this, so Im not gonna turn down her actually approving a purchase for once ;)

So you're saying he fishes the right way...... :laugh5:

i would just say buy a cheap combo while youre there, fish with it, and give it to a local kid that might be hanging around when youre done with it. thats what my uncle does when he goes trout fishing in montana and such. but obviously that doesnt seem like its ideal for you as youre pretty insistent on using a baitcaster and an expensive combo at that, and traveling with it...

More or less trying to find a good 2 piece rod that handles braid. As far as spinning being the right way? I didnt say it was wrong, but there is way more control for me to cast since I have spool control. What ever makes you happy I guess. And I will not be giving it away, I WILL get my butt whipped for that.

Here is another example of rod ratings that I don't understand. Both the Medium Heavy and Heavy BassPro rods are rated for the same lure weights, but different line weights. I think most people would assume that a Heavy can handle heavier lures than a MH. :(

I dont know what the deal with the rod ratings are either. I usually use a MH. Its good all around, especially with my braid. I always just check the pole out with my hands, see how the flex is, and check the build quality with my own hands and eyes.

Use a reel you already own, and put the whole $200 into a St Croix Tidemaster Travel casting rod (slightly over $200 but not by much). I have one and it is excellent for a multi-piece rod. since it is a saltwater rod, it's power will be one heavier than a freshwater rod. I have the medium and if it were a freshwater rod it would likely be rated medium-heavy.

Can't really comment about a two piece rod, Im looking to put together a travel set as well... A spinning and a casting rod. I have owned cheap shakespear's and shimanos but was never satisfied. The Voltaeus line seems heavy and too whippy at the tip (I own a spinning and casting version, both medium). I was looking at the Berkley Amp series of rods in casting and spinning, have not really heard too many bad things about them and they are relatively inexpensive as well( if they get messed up during travel I wont be upset).

As far as a good travel bag, I think this would suit your needs( I want one for myself and am very particular about bags):

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=429417&pdesc=Xscape_Designs_Fishing_Rod/Reel_Travel_Bag&aID=504T5&merchID=4006

Not a bad price and they can fit up to a 7' two piece rod and store some tackle.

I don't understand why you would want to buy a whole new reel for a travel rig. Dump the money into the rod and use one of your other reels. When you get back from the trip I assume you won't still be using your "travel rig"

• Like 1

Yeah, I just picked up a Diawa TDPro yestrday. So Im just gonna try and find a decent 2 piece for the travel. Right now its sitting on a Team Diawa rod.