Sign in to follow this  
NJfishinGuy

aqua-vu question

hey im just thinking about picking up one of those aqua vu cameras for next year. are they worth it or just a waste of time.  any info you guys have on them would be great

-Ryan-

I don 't have one, the only problem I see with them is that since water turbidity affects on what the camera is able to see as soon as the turbidity rises you end up with an expensive toy with limited applications. If you fish gin clear water year round it can be a very valuable tool.

Is your regular lake 's water gin clear year round ?

I don't have the aqua vu but one from ebay for $100.  I can't imagine the quality being a whole lot different between the 2.  In stained water, you are only going to see about 8-16 inches tops.  Even in the clearer water I did not think I was seeing very far but, it is awful hard to tell.  The truth is that I kept forgetting I had it, plus it was just another thing to be in the way on the boat.  In the right circumstance it would be well worth the $100 in my opinion, and it gives the kids something else to do for a few minutes.

I like the ones they have mounted on the bow.  You can monitor and control your depth easier plus, it looked like you could rotate right and left or atleast you would have a better idea of which way the camera was pointing.

To me anyway, I think the ultimate application is on the ice for ice fishing.  You can set up your little camera in your shack and see whats going on.  It is almost easier in open water to just search for the fish with a good search lure, but when you have to drill a hole it can help to take a look around.  

I would get one, but only if I did a bit of ice fishing.

the only thing im thinking is it may be a good learning tool. find structure and stuff and then look at it and see if anything is downthere.  could be a good way to learn what your looking at on your fish finder and locating fish. the other thing is that i work a couple lakes with some steep drops i know hold fish but have a hard time gettin them. im thinking i could take a look and see if they are really there. ythings like that is what im thinking.

I have an Aqua-Vu Scout XL.

I bought it mainly to look around and under docks,just because my lake has so many.It really helped to eliminate some docks and find a whole lot of really good ones that have brush and other cover.In the summer I use it every now and then to check brushpiles.

When looking around docks I attached my camera to a 10 ft length of 1/2" conduit so I could eliminate handling the cord by hand.The conduit made it 100 times easier to use.If you angle the cam just right,you can stick the conduit way back under a dock(at an angle) and get decent views of whats under them,as opposed to just holding the cord and dropping it at the side.The conduit will also make it easier to keep the cam pointed at what you are looking at.Without it,the cam just sorta goes where it wants to,especially if you have lots of cable out.That can make it confusing when its underwater twisting in circles.

Someone mentioned water clarity.Thats an excellent point.If you're going to buy one and expect to see all the way across the lake bottom with it,save your money.In clear water its obviously better but you still cant see all that far,maybe up to 10 ft at most,thats with lots of sun on the water and the water being clear.Even if the water is clear and you can see 10 ft away,the screen is so small that you really cant tell whats what.

I think once you use it a few times you'll find that it is almost a pain in the butt to use and you wont use it as much as you thought you would.The one sodaksker was talking about would be my next choice,if I ever chose to buy another one.

The underwater cam is a good idea but it does have its drawbacks.

I just picked up an Aqua-VU XT at a steal of a price. I live and fish on an extremely clear water lake and only want it to help me better learn my new home lake and to double check what I am seeing on my new color depth finder. The cheap cameras will do what I want, other than that I don't know if the high dollar ones are really worth getting  due to a lot of the previous mentioned limitations.

post-10877-130162869679_thumb.gif

I bought a Aqua-Vu 360 that has 4 lenses that show all 4 directions on your screen at the same time so you see in all directions at once. It is fantastic to see what's done there. I did post a question under General Bass Fishing on this Bass Resource website asking others who have used Aqua-Vu as to how they see suspended fish. I have had no problems seeing fish on the bottom. I just can't seem to get the hang of how you see suspended fish that show up on your fish finders. I have used the 360 in both clear & stained water. Of course you can see farther but in stained I can still see anywhere from 1-5 feet. I originally bought the XT and I loved how it showed the lense depth & temperature. I didn't like that you had to spin the cable to try and see in other directions. I took it back to BPS (they gave me no problems) and I bought the 360 in it's place. It is a great tool to see if a spot is holding fish or you should just move to another spot and don't waste time. Good luck & have fun with it.

Yes get an aqua vu, i always wanted one.  ;)It will help you find , hard to find fish and watching the fish act underwater is cool

I have had the single lense version for about 4yrs now and very rarely use it during the open water season.I probably would but the water gets a little murky.As far as you can see your lure in the water is as far as you aqua-view will see.If you fish fairly clear water I would say definately buy one.If you do any ice fishing I'd highly reccomend one.Brought a whole new entertainment element to my ice fishing.I no most of the southern folks on here probably cringe at the idea of ice fishing, but I have story to show you the educational value of an aqua-veiw.Before I had one, while ice fishing, I used to jig with big 1 to 1 1/2 ft lifts. Well when I got a hold of the old aqua-veiw I learned that the BIG jigging action was fine to attract them but once they moved in to investigate it actually scared them off.If the fish were already in the area and you jigged aggresivly you'd scare the bejesus out of them.But once you knew they were there the best thing to do is just wiggle the jig a little,they couldn't stand it, they had to eat it.There was anoth time I seen a smallie hanging around my set-up and it wouldn't respond to anything, but as soon as I started jiggling my jig off the bottom stirring up silt, the fish was on it instantly, ferociously.Very educational the aqua-veiw.