fishing
fish
fish
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Rigging A Loooooonnnggggggg Worm

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#16 Gangley

Gangley

Heeeeeeere piggy piggy piggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted February 23 2012 - 10:56 AM

Ive caught 7" dinks on 10" worms before with no issue as well

Like JFranco mentioned, length does not determine hook size, girth/thickness of the plastic bait does. With worms, I prefer a gap between 2 and 3 times the girth of the worm. Therefore, I usually use a 4/0 on a ZOOM Ol' Monster and a 5/0-6/0 on the 10" Berkley Power Worm since they are bigger bodied than the Ol' Monsters.

I hook the worm through the head and go deep before bringing the hook back out through the belly of the worm so that I can slide the worm up over the knot like mentioned in a prior post. This not only hides the knot, but protects it from the sinker as well when the sinker is not pegged.
"Where'd old Bubba Ho-Tep go?"

-Aaron Z-

#17 crankbait2009

crankbait2009

Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted February 23 2012 - 11:12 AM

But you could also fish these weightless, correct?? Do they have better action weighted? I read on a couple posts ago, that they float..........Assuming they would have to be weighted then. Is it best to have the weighted hooks or a weight that is independent?
14' Flat Bottom Jonboat with 1966 Evinrude 18HP

#18 Gangley

Gangley

Heeeeeeere piggy piggy piggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted February 23 2012 - 11:26 AM

None of the worms that I use, other than a squirel tail worm, float. You can use any worm weightless, but generally the larger the worm the easier to cast when fishing weightless.
"Where'd old Bubba Ho-Tep go?"

-Aaron Z-

#19 1234567

Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted February 23 2012 - 02:29 PM

Bass inhale the worm and since it is soft the entire bait collapses. Thats how you can hook a 7 inch bass on a 10-12 inch worm. Personally I don't like to use oversize hooks or to have the hook to be way back in the body of the bait. It takes action out of the worm then.

Amen!

#20 Michael DiNardo

Michael DiNardo

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted February 24 2012 - 01:21 AM

Although I don't worry about the length of the hook either, if it bothers you there are hooks made for Sluggos that would work. They are about a half inch longer. They are like a 2x long streamer hook comparatively.

Mike