fishing

bass fishing

fishing

fishing

fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Is There Such Thing As To Windy To Fish?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#16 A-Jay

A-Jay

The harder I work, the luckier I get ~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts

Posted February 23 2012 - 10:34 AM

I fish smaller bodies of water but I do it from a canoe, so I'm off the water before most.
But, my two largest LMB (in this state) came on days that were close to my limits as far as wind goes.
So a bit of a blow gets me a little ramped up.

A-Jay
President of the Scrounga Club
~ Semper Paratus ~

#17 fishingfourfun

fishingfourfun

Wishing I was Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted February 23 2012 - 02:31 PM

The day after eating Brussell Sprouts!

#18 Bluebasser86

Bluebasser86

60% of the time it works all the time!

• Members
  • 7,273 posts

Posted February 23 2012 - 07:13 PM

When it isn't safe for me to be out there I call it quits unless I think I can fish from the bank and be alright. I usually just pick smaller bodies of water if I know it's going to be windy and think about the areas I want to fish and how affected they are going to be by the wind so I have a plan before I get there so I'm not running around in it more than I have to. One of my best days for big fish last year was on a day the wind was blowing 30-40mph all day long. Boat control sucked but the fish didn't care. I fished a spinnerbait and trap all day and killed them.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

#19 brushhoggin

brushhoggin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted February 25 2012 - 02:37 PM

it was 77 degrees last thurs, 25-30 mph winds. had to stand on the bank with my feet spread apart so i wouldnt blow over. stood in one spot for a whole hour catching bass after bass casting to the same spot every time. it was the back of a pocket and was also windblown. best day of the year so far. first 6 casts i had 4 fish.
i'd imagine a spinnerbait would do fine but i like lipless cranks cause they cast well in high winds. the wind is your friend.

#20 StinkyBass

StinkyBass

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted February 25 2012 - 05:15 PM

im a firm believer that bass bite when they're hungry. raining, wind, or even blue bird skies, if you throw what they want you'll hook up. some of my best catches were on days that werent pretty! so if you can go...THEN GO! :)
Tight lines...
-Sean

#21 reo

reo

life is good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted February 26 2012 - 07:48 PM

There's no trolling motor for this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

For scale, see the semi in the background on a calm day:
Posted Image

Pics by my bud Wade.

Is your friend Wade from Cleveland???

#22 Raider Nation Fisher

Raider Nation Fisher

The most Raidinist one

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,840 posts

Posted February 26 2012 - 10:06 PM

There's no trolling motor for this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

For scale, see the semi in the background on a calm day:
Posted Image

Pics by my bud Wade.

Nope, but there are surf boards! :D
I hate therefore I am. -Marilyn Manson-

#23 J Francho

J Francho

Oink-Oink!

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,639 posts

Posted February 27 2012 - 09:27 AM

Is your friend Wade from Cleveland???

More or less.

Everything in moderation.

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#24 Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

I Love All Kinds of Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted February 27 2012 - 09:32 AM

J - Waves like those always reminds me of the words to a song: "With a load of iron ore 26 thousand tons more, than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty......"

My answer to the original question is YES!

#25 J Francho

J Francho

Oink-Oink!

• Global Moderator
  • 17,639 posts

Posted February 27 2012 - 09:37 AM

There's some great writing in that song.

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#26 Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

I Love All Kinds of Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted February 27 2012 - 10:00 AM

There's some great writing in that song.

As well as some real tragedy. A few years ago one of the local news stations replayed the radio calls between the Coast Guard and the Arthur Anderson which was the ship ahead of the Fitzgerald as they were trying to seek shelter behind Whitefish Point. Unbelievable that they turned to in that storm to go back looking for them when they went off radar. I've been in some white-knuckle trips on Lake Michigan in waves a mere fraction of what they faced. Makes me question my sanity every time I pass the end of the breakwalls.

#27 J Francho

J Francho

Oink-Oink!

• Global Moderator
  • 17,639 posts

Posted February 27 2012 - 10:22 AM

Makes me question my sanity every time I pass the end of the breakwalls.

I know that exact feeling. Get it sometimes when leaving the Buffalo Harbor on Erie, LOL.

#28 A-Jay

A-Jay

• Members
  • 5,202 posts

Posted February 27 2012 - 01:29 PM

I know that exact feeling. Get it sometimes when leaving the Buffalo Harbor on Erie, LOL.

People who ignore "That exact Feeling" often times contribute to natural selection as well as providing job security for me for about 3 decades.

:)
A-Jay
~ Semper Paratus ~

#29 J Francho

J Francho

Oink-Oink!

• Global Moderator
  • 17,639 posts

Posted February 27 2012 - 01:43 PM

People who ignore "That exact Feeling" often times contribute to natural selection as well as providing job security for me for about 3 decades.

Oh jeez, whatever - I can handle myself and the boat. You have to know your limits. Some make boating out to be something way more dangerous than it is - take it at least as serious driving a car. "That feeling" mostly just means a sore back. Not that I didn't feel safe. Believe me, I grew up on Lake Ontario. When you see white caps forming off shore, you have about an hour to react on Ontario. Erie, you can cut that time in half. Oneida is similar, though the waves come at you faster, so it's even more dangerous - easier to spear a wave. Anyway, I swamped a boat once, and that was enough. Funny that was a 22' Four Winns bowrider which should have been able to handle much worse - just bad driving. They don't work like a deep-v or a bass boat. That was a long slow ride back. luckily got her back without needing a tow.

#30 A-Jay

A-Jay

• Members
  • 5,202 posts

Posted February 27 2012 - 02:47 PM

You have to know your limits. Some make boating out to be something way more dangerous than it is - take it at least as serious driving a car.

Well said - and propably a better way to say it.

A-Jay
~ Semper Paratus ~