soopd

What Size Spinning Reel?

I do not use spinning reels much at all. I have an old one that I can't stand and I am going to purchase a new one this weekend. I will be fishjng hair jigs and maybe dropshot with this setup. It will not be fished all that much. What is would be the best size 100, 200, or 300 series?

Shimano 2500, Daiwa 2000, 20 or 30 series in other brands all work fine.

I like the 25's in Shimano's andin the Pflueger I like the 30's.

I don't know that there is a "best" size, but with spinning, all other things being equal, for a given line diameter, line performance will be better on a larger diameter spool. So if it boils down to two sizes, I might take the larger for this reason.

I personally fish to 1000 series shimano reels but do a lot of walleye fishing so line capacity isn't a huge issue. 2500 series reels seem to be a very common standard in which people buy.

Id make the choice based on intended line diameter. If your going to want to use something over 8lb I'd go with the 3000. I bought two stradic fjs this year a 3000 and a 2500. THe 2500 just feels ugly trying to run 10lb test triplefish.

I would consider want size rod I was mounting it on. On a 6'6 med 6-12# rod I use a supreme 30, on a 7' med 8-17# I use a supreme 35, 10# & 15 # braid.

I use 2500's on everything. I find it balances the best on almost every length rod and is able to handle any fish I am after.