Sign in to follow this  
bknap

Popper Question

when you guys fish with a popper do you guys pop it or do you walk to dog ?

Brandon

I personally like to pop it, and have long pauses in between some pops. But I have had bites while walking it. Mainly I use the original Pop-r.

I pop it. I always thought that's why it had that funky nose. Plus I usually get my biggest strikes on the pop

Both. I also pause it; a LOT.

I pop it and throw in a couple short walk the dog strokes in per retrieve. But pop and pause is usually my main retrieve.

I will cast, and let sit for 5 seconds or so, then either pop it once REALLY hard, or give it a double pop, then sit it, and bring it back varying the pops in speed, and intensity, and also varying the pause.

just make it unpredictable, if that doesn't work, make it a strict pattern.

some animals key in on predictability, some don't

Both, sometimes they want it one way OR the other, sometimes it dosen't matter, and sometimes they don't want it at all.

Depends on what they want. They seem to like the 'Pop, pop, pause.. repeat' method the most.

A little use method with poppers is also the "Dive" retrieve.

I'll pop it a few times and then do a strong pull of the rod where the popper dives down about 6 inches below the surface and gets pulled about 3 or 4 feet at that depth. WIth good poppers, an oxygen trail will follow the popper as its pulled under the surface and the popper will have a tight wobble as well. Certain poppers will do a slow side to side wobble as they float back to the surface.

Along with the way the popper sits on the surface, its walk-a-bility, and its spit-a-bility, the two properties mentioned above(tight wobble when pulled under the surface and a slight wobble as it floats to the top) are two of the key characteristics I look for when selecting a popper. A word to those who are looking for those characteristics....you get what you pay for :)

For me its the usual pop pop pause in open water. Im a bit more deliberate and patient near visible cover where i know theres likely a fish.

I also have great results ever so gently "jigglying" the lure, trying to emulate a large grasshopper,bird or the like struggling on the surface. Not necessarily trying to make it "bloop" or "pop", just a quiver on semi tight line. This is deadly here in VA come August.

• Like 1

Both. I like to walk them and make them spit a little at the same time. I usually fish them with pretty gentle twitches and fairly long pauses.