Sign in to follow this  
scaleface

Single Blades Vs Double Blades

Why double blades? What do they do that a single wont do? I have a large selection of both but dont see an advantage with two blades. I think I could fish the rest of my life with one blade and not miss duos blades at all.

2 blades = double the water displacement and flash with less water resistance, everything else being equal.

Double tandem willow blades are a good example, the spinning bait can be retrieved faster, stay higher in the water column with less water resistance and put our a lot flash, plus the blades more resemble baitfish.

A single blade can be retrieved slower than a double blades, put off less flash and sometimes a slower moving spinner bait is what appeals to bass. I use both styles.

Tom

WRB's posts are always difficult to follow because he usually covers everything of importance in a nice, concise manner. The only thing I would add is that sometimes bass will prefer the specific throbbing cadence of a large single bladed spinnerbait under certain situations. I like spinnerbaits with a single large blade when I am fishing deep. A single large willow leaf is great and when I want to go slower and still stay off the bottom a Colorado blade is the ticket. And there are situations where the double blades are preferred as well. I wouldn't fish without either the double or the single.

spinner bait science is somewhat of a very difficult critter. typically a single blade spinner bait will have more feel of the vibration than when using two blades. the next part of the equation is to figure out whether a single or double is the order of the day. when using double blade, every different combination give off a different vibration and flash. i have fished days when i caught fish early on a single blade, later in the day go to a double willow, and then again have to change later in the afternoon to a combination of a colorado in front and a willow in back.

i would guess that because gettting the "right" blade combination is sometimes so hard to do is why i throw a so much. not so much to worry about on a jig. just the right weight and your basic color. however, there are times that the blade is the bait ot be throwing. on the water experience is a great teacher on learning when to use single or double, and what combinations.

bo

We sometimes forget that both Rick Clunn and KVD won more tournaments fishing spinnerbaits than crankbaits! You should read whatever both those 2 pros have to say about spinnerbait blades. Clunn was the first to use heavier wedge shape blades and KVD was a fan of Indiana blades, there is so much to learn about spinnerbaits.

Tom

In the spring I normally used tandem blades and switch to singles after the spawn. The last couple of years I used a single Turtle back blade in the spring with real good success. Thats why the question.

Edited. They are not quite Turtleback design. They are Terminator "Oklahoma" blades that I took off of Terminator baits because the were too heavy for the lure wt. and came in sideways, then placed them on a heavier lure.

I always have two spinnerbait rods rigged and have one with a single colorado and another with tandem colorado/willow or colorado/colorado blades and let the bass tell me which one they prefer that day. The murkier the water, the more I use the single colorado or the tandem with two colorado blades.

I have a pile of both. I roll my own so I tend to experiment all the time. I noticed tandem blades seem to cartwheel less when the bait gets out of tune than singles so even when I want a large single bladed bait I'll stick a small #2 blade in front of it plus I like at least one painted blade. I still fish singles but a common bait for me would be a 3/4 ounce bait with a #5 Colorado main blade and a #2 in front of it. I use this where I would have normally run just a single #5 blade. So far so good.

• Like 1