Sign in to follow this  
roadwarrior

New Baits And Lures

New means "new to you". There is lots of great advice here at BassResource.com, but the information

overload can be overwhelming. Whether you are just starting out or a seasoned veteran, I think this

might be something to consider, I know it helps me:

Any time I fish something new I try to wait until I'm on a good bite for the particular class of lure. For example,

I haven't fished the Rage Tail ReCon yet. Next time I am on a strong worm bite, I'll whip one out! When I fish

something new I want to test it under ideal conditions. Otherwise, I might lose confidence in something that

is great, but fished under the wrong circumstances.

Another thing I like to do is change colors using the same bait/ lure. Again, do this when you are on a good

bite not when you are struggling. Two examples that occurred this summer:

We were ledge fishing at Pickwick, searching for some holes. I picked up the first bass trolling a jig while we

searched, not really "fishing". Once we got out our buoys out I continued fishing the jig, my buddies fished 10"

worms. To make a long story short, purple worms were the ticket and for me, the Thumper in particular.

On a recent trip I fished a number of jigs in different weights and colors while my buddy fished nothing but

3/8 oz PBJ, Arkie head. I don't or didn't fish PBJ period. Well, now it has become one of my favorite colors!

So, what I am recommending is to change colors or try other "same class" baits when the fishing is good.

"Good" can be better!

• Like 1

Coming from a tackle junkie: after more than 3 decades of bass fishing and thousands of dollars invested in tackle I´ve found that .......... you don´t need that much junk to catch fish. I understand, the "need" to have the latest, newest, hottest tackle can cloud your vision, the more crap you own and carry the more difficult it makes to take a decission when it comes to what you are going to tie, it can become mindblogging what to choose when you got so many option, also, what you need to catch fish is not really more stuff, it´s more knowledge, more imagination and many times, "new" only means the same stuff you already have fished differently.

Now, being said that -----> time to place an order, got the urgent "need" to purchase more stuff :eyebrows:

Great post!

Any time I fish something new I try to wait until I'm on a good bite for the particular class of lure. For example,

I haven't fished the Rage Tail ReCon yet. Next time I am on a strong worm bite, I'll whip one out! When I fish

something new I want to test it under ideal conditions. Otherwise, I might lose confidence in something that

is great, but fished under the wrong circumstances.

Good point! I've retired many lures too early without considering the conditions.