Sign in to follow this  
zachb34

G.loomis Imx Vs. St.croix Ltb

I have the opportunity to trade one of my two ltb's that aren't bad rods but don't impress me too much for an IMX what are your opinions on it?

I have a fished a couple IMX's that belong to buddys, and I have and fish a couple LTB's of my own. To me it's a coin flip. Maybe a slight edge to the Loomis as far as being lighter and less tip heavy. Sensitivity?? I couldn't tell the difference. I will say this, I am not real impressed with the way St Croix keeps "updating" the LTB series and what they have evolved to in the latest offering. I like more of a "traditional" looking rod. SO if I had $$ to plunk down on a rod in that price range, it would possably be a Loomis MBR in the IMX line up.

Keep the LTB's!

Jeff

I'd have to agree with ww2. Both fish in terms of sensitivity are on par with each other. There are a few LTB (7'1MHF for example) in the new "upgrade" that is so tip heavy it is almost a disgrace to the series. Really uncomfortable to fish. The IMX series does balance well but i still prefer most of the LTB line as I like split grips and the few LTB that I have left I'm keeping because they balance perfectly and fish exactly how I want. If would really depend on which LTB I'd be trading. What ones are you thinking about trading from/to? I fish/fished a lot of them.

I have the 7' mhxf it seems a bit unbalanced to me I'd trade to the IMX 6'6 mh or 7' heavy

Ya that rod is a bit unbalanced. The 7'h imx would balance better and serve you just the same.

The IMX I bought and had was no good. Not sensitive at all for the money. Maybe I had a bad one in the line up, but I was VERY dissapointed. That being said, I LOVE my GLX's

Jeff

I feel the IMX is about equal to my veritas sensitivity wise that and balance are my complaints

Tell me you didn't just compare an IMX to a Veritas?

• Like 1

I feel the IMX is about equal to my veritas sensitivity wise that and balance are my complaints

That says it all right there. Veritas is half the price. It is about the same thing I experienced as well. Falcon Bucoo was just as sensitive side by side. I think it is above the IMX series that loomis rods excel!

Jeff

Glad im not the only one thought I was going to take some serious bashing for that comment

I agree with ww2 and iabass. On par with sensitivity. My LTB 7' MHXF is tip heavy a little. The actions on the St. Croixs I feel are faster and they also are more powerful than rated. My MBR844 IMX balances better. Those guys have much more experience than I. Either way trade to a rod that you will feel suits your needs better. They are pretty equivalent.

The veritas should not very a part of this discussion IMHO.

I have fished Veritas's too..........c'mon, they are decent rods, but not even in the same league as a IMX or, LTB. From what I have seen, handled, and fished, if you really want a decent rod that fishes above it's price point and has a great warranty, with little to no complaints about QC issues, breakage, etc....give a good look at the Shimano rods. If I didn't have an arsenal full of St Croix's that I am happy with, the Clarus, Compre, or Crucial is where I woul look for my next rod.

I have fished Veritas's too..........c'mon, they are decent rods, but not even in the same league as a IMX or, LTB. From what I have seen, handled, and fished, if you really want a decent rod that fishes above it's price point and has a great warranty, with little to no complaints about QC issues, breakage, etc....give a good look at the Shimano rods. If I didn't have an arsenal full of St Croix's that I am happy with, the Clarus, Compre, or Crucial is where I woul look for my next rod.

I was not bashing the Veritas. They are decent rods and great if you consider the price if I had $80 to buy a rod that would be my choice, but the OP clearly stated his disliking of his own LTB and wanted a comparison to an IMX for trading purposes. Therefore, I dont see why a Veritas should be a part of the conversation. I believe Zach corrected himself by editing his post. I also find Zach's post to be correct in regards to the balance of the LTB 7'MHXF. Mine is also tip heavy.

As mentioned WW2 is a well respected member and knows what he is talking about. Furthermore, I have had lengthy discussions with member iabass and his wealth of knowledge and experience is exceptional and great for the question you are asking. I once asked this same exact question and he helped me with it and his statements were exactly as I had experienced. Their recommendations, experience, and advice will be the most accurate.

Furthermore, to add my own experience. I have the LTB 7' MHXF and a Loomis IMX MBR 844c. The Loomis balances better than the LTB and would be my choice between the two. Also note though, that there are power differences as there are between any rod manufacturers. St. Croix's MH is almost a Loomis' heavy. I would rather have the split grip of the LTB, So it really depends on what rod you are looking to trade for and how that specific rod feels to you. Sensitivity wise they will be about equal. Choose the one that you feel will suit you and your fishing style and purposes the best.

I didn't say you were bashing the Veritas......LOL interwebz mis-communication. I was refering to the comment made by the OP about the Veritas vs. IMX, I can't judge how one rod feels in a guys hand, but to me there is no comparison. FWIW.........I actually do not care for the Abu rods.

I didn't say you were bashing the Veritas......LOL interwebz mis-communication. I was refering to the comment made by the OP about the Veritas vs. IMX, I can't judge how one rod feels in a guys hand, but to me there is no comparison. FWIW.........I actually do not care for the Abu rods.

Definitely "interwebz mis-communication" going on WW2! LOL

From what I understand the Veritas graphite is 30 Million Modulus and the IMX's are 55 Million Modulus. Most would agree the GLX's are better than the IMX's and those blanks are 68 Million Modulus. I do not really see the comparison between a Veritas and IMX and I don't think the OP really did either. The Veritas just really isn't in the same league as the IMX and LTB and it would not be in the OP's best interest to trade a LTB for one. If you want to do that, I am sure you will find many who are willing to make that trade. You and iaBass did a great job explaining the pros/cons of each choice. I only own one of each, so I am less informed.

Personally, I think it would be hard to go wrong with the IMX MBR844. I keep buying new rods and in the meantime can always find another way to use this rod. It is very versatile and works very well. Not the best rod I have ever used, but surely has a place in my arsenal.

I'm going to to out today and bring just both of my LTB's and see if I can give them a better chance to impress me thanks for the help all