Sign in to follow this  
PABASS

Reel Pm Learning Experience

I fall under the category of why pay for a service that I could do myself, all respect to others whom made a career out of this as I made a career out of this thought process, albeit a very different career. Back to my point of a learning lesson for me, first I would like to thank Gene for the inspiration so to speak of wanting to try reel maintenance. My second reel tear down was a shimano syncopate 2000, I followed Gene’s logic of a teardown and it worked well, I was thinking about taking pictures as well but that’s time consuming. The tear down was going well until I had a tiny plastic part that I knew what order it was in but wasn’t sure how it went back in, well another reason why I love Shimano as they make awesome schematics and turns out my location was right, with this and Gene’s method I was able to tear down this reel and a older stradic and did a full service and man that stridic is now butter smooth. My next tear down will be an old Calcutta, wish me luck.. So when in doubt track down the schematics, because no one had anything on you tube about these older reels. Another tip Shimano has many a guides on their site that applies mainly to newer models but still can be helpful for a tear down gone wrong.

I wouldn't start on an unfamiliar reel without a full schematic in front of me.

I wouldn't start on an unfamiliar reel without a full schematic in front of me.

Learning experience for me and I used a reel that I don't fish with so it wasn't any loss if it didn't get put back together, but yes I in the future for an unknown reel I will have a schematic on my screen. It wasn't until the next day I thought about the schematics that come with a Shimano and lucky enough for me someone had one online for it. What really bothered me about the reel was it would click on every turn and it didn't do that before, I assumed I put it back wrong, but really I cleaned it and it worked like it did in the past so long ago, I just didn't remember it clicking lol, even with a lot of grease on that part it still clicks, long story but I had dropped this reel in the bay when I was crabbing with my family when i was young and had thought that I lost it, I caught it on another reel hours later and it was full of sand it still worked and I cleaned it then to the best of my abilities so mud was caked around this part and made it so the reel wouldn't click, interesting story, really..

I keep a schematic of all my reels in a binder in clear binder sleeves.......

Something isn't back together right if it's clicking. Might be a misplaced shim under the rotor.

Something isn't back together right if it's clicking. Might be a misplaced shim under the rotor.

Maybe, do you own this reel, this is an old reel, its probably 22+ years old and I can see the part clicking, the only thing that made it stop was the mud/sand caked onto this par, once I cleaned this it clicked.

Actually, the self centering AR mechanism is pretty standard among many low to mid range Shimanos.

The clicking is part #3658 bumping #3656. It's cause by #3659 not being aligned properly with #2280 and #3869.

http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Spinning/00SC2000FA_v1_m56577569830642089.pdf

Actually, the self centering AR mechanism is pretty standard among many low to mid range Shimanos.

The clicking is part #3658 bumping #3656. It's cause by #3659 not being aligned properly with #2280 and #3869.

http://fish.shimano....69830642089.pdf

Man you know your reels, but 3660 is whats clicking, when I disable anti reverse it goes away and I didn't take 2283 out so that piece shouldn't have moved, right?

It does every time. It's a pain. It won't click when the Ar is off because the lever pushes the rocker out of the way.

Posted · Hidden by J Francho, November 15, 2012 - Has zero to do with the thread
Hidden by J Francho, November 15, 2012 - Has zero to do with the thread

One thing I love about Shimano is that all the E series are pretty much the same. Taking down the Citica to the Chronarch is the same, and even the Gs are closely the same build. As a matter of fact, most of Shimanos baitcasters are very similar in build. Got to love'em.

Posted · Hidden by J Francho, November 15, 2012 - Has zero to do with the thread

Very similar in build, yet cost more depending on the color and year of the reel. Gotta love 'em.

Very similar in build, yet cost more depending on the color and year of the reel. Gotta love 'em.

yeah, lol. Oh well, what can ya do, just keep shelling out the $.

Man you know your reels, but 3660 is whats clicking, when I disable anti reverse it goes away and I didn't take 2283 out so that piece shouldn't have moved, right?

#3660 pushes #3658, and keeps it from catching the edges on #3656, which disables the anti reverse. Keep monkeying with it, you'll see what I mean about the spring. When the reel goes forward, the spring and rocker part move in tandem out of the way. When it goes backward, the rocker locks in on the anti reverse.

#3660 pushes #3658, and keeps it from catching the edges on #3656, which disables the anti reverse. Keep monkeying with it, you'll see what I mean about the spring. When the reel goes forward, the spring and rocker part move in tandem out of the way. When it goes backward, the rocker locks in on the anti reverse.

Fixed it last night, thanks for the help, I think on my higher end reels I will be taking pictures as well lol...

Cool.