JeziHogg

Legal Question About Customizing Tackle And Reselling

Here's my question,

Is it legal to buy materials (pre formed jigs, skirts, crankbaits etc.) then customizing them (sanding and repainting a crank bait, or using pre formed jig heads and putting the skirt on) then reselling them?

Based on the thousands of lure customizers doing exactly that, yes.  I've never heard of a single case of anyone getting sued for repainting factory lures and selling them, and I'm pretty sure the big companies would have rooted out any such loophole long ago if one existed.  It's the same with any kind of custom work, fishing-related or no:  You are selling your work, not necessarily the product you customized.

If such were not the case, companies such as Jann's Netcraft, Barlow's Tackle, Lure Parts Online, and other large suppliers of lure-making parts would not exist today.

That is not the case with plastics.  You can get into a mess with some knock off plastics.

If you buy a generic lead jig you can paint it any color you want and sell it with any skirt you want. If you buy a Trademarked name like let's say for example "Strike King Whopper Stopper" and sell it as that you will run into legal issues. Also unique jig designs from major companies usually are proprietary and you cannot copy and sell them. The other thing with jigs is you aren't going to buy jigs from Strike King, take them apart and repaint them. It's not cost effective. There are many places where you can purchase raw jigs paint and skirt them yourself and then sell them. 

• Like 2

One thing that wasn't mentioned.  Don't forget to file your Form 720 for Quarterly Federal Excise Tax.

One thing that wasn't mentioned.  Don't forget to file your Form 720 for Quarterly Federal Excise Tax.

Only if you intend on selling...

for personal use no need to worry............. :Victory:

Tight Lines All!   :fishing1:

Well, he did say reselling......that's why i mentioned it.

I know a number of guys who repaint crankbaits and sell them.

You can give them your cranks you want repainted and they will repaint them.

I know a wonderful gentleman who ties his own jigs and sells them.

These home businesses are cash only and no one files tax reports or gives information to our friendly IRS.

Since there are a number of these guys in my state just think of the thousands of guys and gals throughout the world that repaint and sell crankbaits and retie jigs and spinnerbaits.

So to answer your query, it may or may not be legal but it is done as a regular part of bass fishing economics.