GaBankFisher

What Would You Do?

New to the forum, fairly new to bass fishing...looking forward to learning a lot (and helping others when I can).

You're standing on the bank of a large lake (Clarks Hill, SC), and a school of something (assume LMB or possibly striped bass?) begins to feed at the surface about 50 yards out.  You've got a selection of spinner baits, jigs, plugs, poppers, etc.  How do you proceed?

Appreciate the advice. 

What is the primary forage on the lake? Shad? I'd start with a crankbait, lipless crank, or jerkbait matching the forage. Probably one with a rattle.

Sounds like typical striper stuff but I could be wrong. In any case you have to consider first off what you can get out there, baits that are lighter or have a increases wind resistance (big awkward bodies like buzz-baits) will be much harder to cast to or past your target. I would use whatever you have in the form of a lipless crankbait, walk-the-dog type topwater lure, jerkbait, any baitfish or wounded baitfish type bait.

The primary key is having the equipment to get out there far enough past the 50 yards to make the lures effective.  After that all the advice above is sound.  Lipless CB's, Crankbaits, Spinnerbaits etc.  If they don't strike that then a weightless senko in the middle of the frey should get you a strike or two.

50 yards is a long way.  I'd be throwing whatever I had on my rod because as fast as you see them that's how fast they can disappear.   If i had a choice it would be a topwater lure, have yet to meet busting fish of any species that didn't hit topwater.  

Appreciate all the advice fellas...might take me a walk tomorrow and see if I can spot any schools.