iceintheveins

Guide Inserts For Fishing Rods

I have lost several inserts for rod tip guides in my rods. I don't want to replace the tip, just want to find a good guide insert that will fit, be it ceramic, titanium, or whatever. Does anyone know where I can buy them? BPS, Tackle Warehouse, and Cabelas don't carry them.

Replacement of the tip-top is the correct repair. I'm not aware or any place that sells inserts only. Even if they did, getting seated and mounted to last would be unlikely if not impossible.

• Like 1

Replacement of the tip-top is the correct repair. I'm not aware or any place that sells inserts only. Even if they did, getting seated and mounted to last would be unlikely if not impossible.

This and stop doing whatever your doing to keep popping your inserts out.  Either that or try a different brand for your guides.  American Tackle guides have a feature called Ring Lock which should solve your issues.

I will do that. How do I get the tip off without breaking the rod?

I've had guide problems with only 1 brand of rod, the rod comes with Fuji hardaloys and they rust out, have replaced guides about 20 times on various rods, they get a total rinse down after each outing. As I like the rods I treat it as a mere inconvenience, the replacement guides are generic and they never rust, go figure.  Weight differences in guides are probably measured in grains, I've not noticed a difference when in my hands.

I will do that. How do I get the tip off without breaking the rod?

Warm the tip with a lighter, but be VERY careful not to get the flame on the blank.

GENTLY grasp the tip with pliers and remove.

To keep from burning your fingers do the following. Attach a rubber band to a paper clip. Bend out the clip so you can insert one end into the tip guide. Pull on the rubber band while heating the guide. When the glue softens, the rubber band will pull the guide off without risking your delicate digits.

Thanks guys I will try the said tips.

Once heated you will be surprised at how easy the tip pulls off, but be cautious about getting the rod tip too hot.  Amazing at how fast the graphite rod will melt.

Once heated you will be surprised at how easy the tip pulls off, but be cautious about getting the rod tip too hot.  Amazing at how fast the graphite rod will melt.

That's the advantage to the rubber band method. As soon as the glue softens, the hot tip slides right off.